Open-E-Cry Issues

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Bond-Speculator, Nov 9, 2006.

1. romik

romik

What connection are you using?

#11     Nov 10, 2006
  2. in the past I have but on this particular issue I have not

#12     Nov 10, 2006
  3. Broadband cable connection.

#13     Nov 10, 2006
  4. romik

romik

most home connections fail whenever there is acceleration, I had unbelievable problems with TT, now using NT and try not to enter any positions during volatile market. Your broker will try and pin it on your ISP.

#14     Nov 10, 2006
  5. Bond-Trader - sorry to hear of your frustrating experience - there is nothing more unsettling than to be loaded up in the markets and have your connection go down.

This happens to all of us at some time or another - we have to expect it and know how to deal with it.

I'm also a customer of OEC and I can tell you that yesterday I had no connection issues whatsoever and I was very actively trading all day yesterday. If OEC had "gone down" even on just one server, and caused 100s if not 1000s of traders to be disconnected for over half an hour, I would have thought we would have seen a lot more responses here.

I'm just wondering if it may not have been OEC and some sort of regional internet connectivity issue instead? Or, since your other connections were fine, something to do with NET 2.0 which I know oec runs under.

Last of all, when this happens to me, obviously if you are in one or more positions the first thing you do is pick up the phone and deal with it with your broker - either making sure your stops are in, or even flatting the market until you've sorted out the hardware/connection issue.

I'm sure you've had all these thoughts - I'm just saying, MAYBE it isn't oec and just maybe there are other issues going in with your internet connectivity.

Just as an example, I had major problems with my quote feed from TradeStation for almost a year where, in times of high volatility, the screens were freezing. squealed like a pig about it, until finally someone suggested changing my LinkSys router for a Dlink router - don't ask me why, but since then I have not had a problem.

Best wishes Bond Trader.

#15     Nov 10, 2006
  6. It is not possible for them to pin it on my ISP. I have various accounts with various firms. When OEC goes down I just open up my DOM from Velocity or GHCO. My CQG charts have always worked fine despite disconnections with OEC. If every other DOM works with every other broker I have an account with and if my CQG charts work, it is impossible for OEC to claim that the problem is with my ISP. That wouldn't make sense at all.

I have a CABLE broadband connection with 30mbps per second (i.e. super fast CABLE not just regular CABLE). I'm not going to correspond with OEC much anymore from now on. I'll just close my account if i keep on experiencing these disconnections.

I'll also be sure to post any and all disconnection problems I have at OEC here on this forum. I encourage others to do the same.

#16     Nov 10, 2006
  7. I'm no computer genius but consider these facts:

TT with VELOCITY FUTURES WAS RUNNING WITH NO DISCONNECTION ISSUES

TT with GHCO WAS RUNNING WITH NO DISCONNECTION ISSUES

CQG CHARTS WERE WORKING WITH NO DISCONNECTION ISSUES

MY WEBSERVER WAS RUNNING WITH NO DISCONNCETION ISSUES WHATSOEVER

MY MAILSERVER WAS RUNNING WITH NO DISCONNECTION ISSUES WHATSOEVER

OEC TRADER WAS DISCONNECTED FOR NEARLY AN HOUR AND A HALF YESTERDAY WHILST ALL THESE OTHER SERVICES EXPERIENCED NO DISCONNECTION ISSUES WHATSOEVER

Now you tell me! If you are a betting man, and you are because you would otherwise not be a trader, where would you put your money? what would you conclude the problem is? My internet connection? My ISP?

Let's not be naive here....

#17     Nov 10, 2006
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

I have it on every day this week, no problem.

#18     Nov 10, 2006
  9. romik

romik

it can be your ISP, my broker has done a ping test (not even the broker but clearing firm) and there was a latency issue with my ISP (104ms). My charting was flawless at the time, when TT started freezing and scrambling, like the other poster mentioned IF it was a global issue, there would be more people posting. Trouble is TT is not used by that many ETers and I would not be surprised if with that broker I was one of very few TT subscribers, hence no reporting on ET happened then.

Anyway, it could be your ISP or some other technical problem, even though your other applications were streaming without delays.

#19     Nov 10, 2006
  10. But i said not only do other applications worked flawlessly: other TRADING applciations like TT and CQG charting worked flawlessly while OEC trading platform experienced rampant disconnections.

Don't fall for the Tracert scam. I've been around long enough in this business to have a sense of what goes on with futures brokers. They attempt to use tracert to show you that it is your ISP. Typically, they will tell you to do a tracert to a bogus server and this, of course, will result in a hangup thus "proving" their point that it is your ISP. the fact is, if it was my ISP, my ISP would not be selective about which trading applications it lets work and which ones it does not.

I actually called my ISP and they told me it was most definitely OEC. They stated that from their end there could see no problem with my internet connection whatsoever.

I think your logic is flawed

#20     Nov 10, 2006