Open Borders - The Final Solution

Discussion in 'Economics' started by yeayo, Jun 14, 2005.

1. One of the stupidest things I have ever heard

#51     Jun 16, 2005
  2. Do you care to elaborate?

This country should be proof of the power of freedom. People originally came here to escape burdensome governments. And look at the prosperity that has been created and how rapidly. Imagine if the government had stayed at it's original size in 1776 instead of becoming the bloated burden that it is today. The founding fathers were businessmen and very smart but unfortunately they left too much power to congress to change the rules a over time.

Politicians today destroy much more value than they create.

#52     Jun 16, 2005
  3. steve23

steve23

:)

#53     Jun 16, 2005
  4. No it should not. This country (or any other one) does not need to prove anything to anybody, countries are not created to prove a principle.

Besides freedom is granted to american citizens, it has nothing in common with granting everybody else on the planet freedom to become an American citizen.

The country exists to provide maximum economic, social and cultural comfort to its existing citizens. If immigration (in some form) helps these objectives - great, if it does not it needs to be curbed.

And it's not black and white either, that immigration worked and was beneficial before does not mean it will work and be beneficial forever. It may also be useful if it's limited and regulated but absurd with open borders policy.

#54     Jun 16, 2005
  5. I might have gone off on a bit of a rant. Obviously if ONLY one country had open borders there would be problems from too many immigrants.

What i was trying to say is that borders are only useful to politicians. Not just here but everywhere. If there were no restrictions between the US & Mexico then companies could easily locate plants in mexico. Eventually the whole area would become relatively prosperous. This could be extended to the whole world. Elimination of all global borders would solve the problem of world poverty. We can see this now as the world becomes more global and other nations are being able to join in the properity instead of it all being locked up in the borders of the US. This could be short term bad for one nation but over the long run it will be good for the world population overall.

---------------
    The US started off as a new nation a few hundred years ago and quickly became the most prosperous because being a new nation it had relatively little government regulation. small government = more freedom = rapid accumulation of wealth. Unfortunately that has changed.

#55     Jun 16, 2005
  6. TGM

TGM

I read these posts and find it amusing. I grew up immersed in far left ideas (not talking democrats ---FAR LEFT). Marxist boot camp as a boy etc..

One thing that strikes me as amusing (besides my profession as a trader) is how the ideas of far left social doctrine (and propaganda) have been copied by business and financial people. Most of you guys have NO IDEA what has been thrown at you. Immigration was NOT intended for economic benefits. Nor was it ever proposed for economic benefits. Once the business people jumped on board and their short term profit motive 'thinking' ran wild---that is when it entered the business dialect.

I am constantly amazed at the constant propaganda spilled out by financial people these days. "Nation of Immigrants"----LOL---that is clever wordism! My oh my how dumb! Look deeper and you will see they define every country as a "Nation of Immigrants".

The capitalist sells the rope which is then in turn used to hang
    him.

Ok kiddies, lets see how much you guys know. In the 60's, the richest Western Countries all adopted new immigration policies. The catch was that the new immigration laws all had one thing in common. Do any of you know what common theme was forced down the throats of countries like the US? With no voting from the people.

#56     Jun 16, 2005