OPEC really pisses me off !!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by taodr, Sep 24, 2003.

1. at least americans aren't infatuated with fuel guzzling autos!

#11     Sep 24, 2003
  2. TD80

TD80

I think the reason I hate OPEC is due to the fact that they are a CARTEL, manipulating one of the world's most important resources.

I am disgusted by price fixing, and as traders I hope you are all disgusted by markets that are not open and are controlled by a very few special interests. The US and european markets are not perfect but they are some of the the best in the world.

Praise capitalism!

Goodluck,

#12     Sep 24, 2003
  3. ummmm did we invade the wrong country:eek:

someone skipped geography....invasion was supposed to be south of Kuwait?? :D :D

#13     Sep 24, 2003

4. Lol. As the old adage goes, be careful what you wish for, it just might come true.

Price fixing is PURE capitalism, buddy. None of this antri-trust governmental interference happening here dude.

#14     Sep 24, 2003
  5. Foz

Foz

What puzzles me is the bonds and oil both going up today. I guess the market thinks the damping effect on the economy of higher oil prices will be worse than the inflationary effects.

#15     Sep 24, 2003
  6. Bonds move was just a flight to safety from stocks. Bonds will be going down also.
    Walter

#16     Sep 24, 2003
  7. Don't worry.

The Russians will never adhere to any of OPEC's demands because some of their production has just come online due to revamped wells and more modern technology.

The Russians are in the 3rd inning of a 9 inning ballgame and they will PUMP and PUMP and PUMP until the cows come home!

:p

#17     Sep 24, 2003
  8. TD80

TD80

You tell me which scenario you would be better off in. Which one provides a more "free" market environment that anyone with proper resources may enter and compete.

A. Age of robber-barons during industrial revolution (in which
    about 4-5 families controlled 80-90% of this countries wealth).

B. Or now, where the richest 10% only have 50% of this
    countries wealth.

Comparing capitalism to a cartel-oligarchy is just plain silly. Ask any capitalist if a cartel is good, and he'll say "only if I'm a member". Are you inside, or outside?

Goodluck,

#18     Sep 24, 2003

9. Exactly my point. That's precisely what unhindered so-called free market capitalism leads to. So the comparison isn't "silly", one thing logically -- given all we know about human nature -- leads to the other.

#19     Sep 24, 2003
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Cartels always fail - they can only ramp prices during a bull market, and always overextend and then get shafted by overproduction and cheating. The idea that a cartel can "fix" the price of a commodity is disproven by practically every cartel ever attempted. Look at OPEC - oil has ranged from $10 to $40 over the last 5 years, far more volatile than any major non-cartel commodity.

Cartels are free markets anyway - no one is forced to buy at their price, you can always choose a substitute product or simply boycott the good in question. Quite why the owner of a commodity should be prevented from exercising his freedom of speech (collusion) and freedom to sell at the price of his choosing (price "fixing") is beyond me.

#20     Oct 27, 2003