Only losers daytrade from their own home?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crgarcia, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Where is the proof? And don't say go search for it, bring it here and PROVE it.

#41     Jul 17, 2010
  2. Jerry030

Jerry030

It was dumb in the 50's and archeological today.

I can just see Beaver's dad at the office with a green eye shade drawing charts by hand as he "trades at the office".

#42     Jul 17, 2010
  3. This is one of the best posts on here and you can learn a lot by listening to its wisdom.

"Succesful people don't run a business from their own home.
    They rent or at least share some office space."

A great point. How many people do you know successfully run a business out of their home?

"Working from home leads to lazyness. (i.e. waking up late, taking a shower late or not at all, working in nondrescript clothes, etc.). But more important it leads to interruptions from family members and friends. Not to mention the social stigma."

This is the best point of the post. Very few people reach optimal productivity levels working from home.

#43     Jul 19, 2010
  4. Retaildaytrader, it appears you don't pay close attention to LANGUAGE.
    Garcia is saying that EVERYONE is a loser, not that SOME succeed and most don't.

You say very few, fine, ok, but Garcia is defining it in terms of everyone. Garcia uses extreme language which is a good indication that he is FOS because even one example in the entire world to the contrary completely destroys the logic of his argument.

I suggest you work on your critical reading skills so you can pick up on this stuff next time.

#44     Jul 19, 2010
  5. Jerry030

Jerry030

I did an experiment. Instead of trading from home as I always do, I traded from my laptop in the waiting room of my doctor’s office and had 3 huge winners.

Garcia is a genius!

I plan to experiment on alternate days with this strategy and if it proves out I’ll just rent a chair in my doctor’s office as it is on the ground floor of my building. I can trade from an "office" without commuting.

Garcia should write a book on a sure fine winning method. He could get promotional funding from the Commercial Real Estate Association as there is a hug glut of empty office space from all the companies that folded during the Bush Recession.

#45     Jul 19, 2010
  6. jjf

jjf

Hi Jerry,

I did the same thing at the IRS and made enough to pay six months tax in an hour I was so alert.
    Since I have already paid for the chair over and over I dont feel obliged to rent it

#46     Jul 19, 2010
  7. RickLong

RickLong

I will have to give this a try from my Doctors's office!

LOL

#47     Jul 19, 2010
  8. The internet is far from a perfect place and these message forums are comparable to the male locker room in a high school. When someone says something like "everyone" they dont truly mean everyone. Since elitetrader is not a place of presentation or decorum, I think I can excuse him for not closely proofing his language.

My personal opinion is that probably 9 out of 10 people can be more efficient in an office-like environment in most any work situation not just trading. Cubicles and offices were designed to limit distractions where as a residence was designed to be full of distractions. You cant do your best work having woken up at 9am and half a sleep at the wheel. You need to wake up at 6am and treat every weekday like a workday versus a vacation.

I dont think trading is in anyway like a serious workplace and the same work ethic will not make you a successful trader. In fact, I think you can be a very unsuccesful trader if you trade with the same work ethic that you use in a regular workplace. However, life in general demands a disciplined approach. If you wake up at 9 and cant seem to shower until the afternoon then there is a problem. Having to report to an office each day dressed and ready by 8am gives you some structure and discipline. It makes you take life a little more seriously.

I have known of some guys who worked from home and it wasnt easy for them. They needed to be as efficient in the home office as they would be in a regular office. Needless to say, when I saw their home office there would be papers flying everywhere...mass disorganization. It took them twice the time to do something that would take an office-based person. Then, since they were home, their families would demand things of them like picking up the children and other tasks. They would become the taskmaster since they were at home.

As for Garcia's use of the English language, Im not going to closely interpret or hold people to things they said in the locker room.

#48     Jul 19, 2010
  9. Jerry030

Jerry030

Garcia's Third Law of Being A Winner

If office chair used for trading has polyester blend fabric
    do not trade Tech stocks as the polyester blend has the potential for disharmony with high tech due to the electrical characteristics of synthetic fabric.

If office chair is leather do not trade major food processors like Kraft or Swift as the souls of the dead cows are offended by your butt sitting on the remains of their great grandfather and will curse the trade from Cow Heaven

I plan to start a blog called Garcia's Great Trading Secrets. I'll post a link here later.

Garcia, please give us your Fourth Law of Trading

#49     Jul 19, 2010
  10. Jerry030

Jerry030

So you still trade the old way: looking at screens full of cute colored lines and charts and typing orders on a keyboard? (In contrast to using a program to do it automatically, with no need for you being present at all)

That's quaint. I think our culture is diminished when everyone adopts modern inventions and lets the old ways die off. The Amish are quaint as well. They still draw their charts on tree bark with goose quill pens and drive their buggy to the office to trade.

#50     Jul 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.