Only in California

Discussion in 'Economics' started by samui, Jul 20, 2010.

1. samui

samui

2. Someone must be smoking "medicinal mary jane".

3. pspr

pspr

You gotta love California. That's good work if you can get it. I wonder if they are taking applications for dog catcher. That job's probably paying at least $200k. Don't you think?

4. I've lived in California for the last 30+ years and I've watched these problems develop over time:

1. The state of California has 12% of the nation's population and 32% of all the country's welfare cases because of the constantly increasing benefits offered over the years.

2. Illegal aliens cost the state somewhere between $3-7 billion a year, depending whose numbers you look at.

3. The alliance between politicians and the public employee unions has resulted in a fiscal disaster. The unions deliver votes and money at election time, and the politicians give public employee unions massive raises and benefits. California's public employees are now the highest paid in the country, and the retirement health/pension program has an unfunded liability of a half trillion dollars.

4. Over the past 10 years, the legislature has increased government spending at twice the rate of the growth in the California economy. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out that eventually the train is going to run off the tracks. Even huge tax increases and massive borrowing haven't been enough to keep pace.

5. The California legislature has done everything in its power to destroy private enterprise with high taxes (now 5th highest per capita in the country, up from 17th just a few years ago) and a maze of regulations that nobody understands. Regulatory costs in California are now the highest in the nation. Companies like Telmar Networks, Terumo Medical, Creel Printing and Stasis Engineering have left the state for good. Hewlett Packard, eBay, JC Penny, the Automobile Club of Southern California and other large corporations are moving thousands of jobs to Nevada, Utah, Texas and Tennessee. Even the entertainment business is moving operations (production/filming) out of the state. In total, over 140 companies have left the state. California now has 12.6% unemployment, third highest in the country.

6. More people are leaving California than are coming in. And the people coming in have 20% less income than those leaving resulting in an ever shrinking tax base.

California's problems are clearly definable and are self-inflicted. There are now so many special interest groups feeding at the trough, the politicians will not do what they have to do for fear of losing votes. The only real solution will occur when nobody else is willing to lend money to the state and the coffers completely run dry.

5. olias

olias

good points. California is a mess, and it's not too hard to see why.

6. LEAPup

LEAPup

I will agree there!

Also, after reading the above link, there's no way I'd touch Muni's from CA! Total ignorance and money soon go in opposite directions, so I can't necessarily feel sorry for "Calle-forn-iya."

7. Adams, Bell’s police chief, said in an interview after the council meeting that he had retired as chief of police in the much larger city of Glendale, California, when Bell officials approached him.

“I told them they would have to pay me what I was making in retirement and the $165,000 I would make as chief of police,” Adams said.

more proof that public service workers (cops and firefighters) only get into the business to help themselves, not to altruistically serve the public as they all claim.

8. maxpi

maxpi

the news was leaked last year that no amount of taxation will pay just the pensions of the Ca workers..

9. ashatet

ashatet

Illegal Aliens do not cost money as your describe, how about 100 of 1000s of businesses that would otherwise be bankrupt if not for these illegal aliens.

#10     Jul 21, 2010