Only Idiots Make Public Stock Calls

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Swan Noir, Apr 16, 2010.

1. muller

muller

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question; calls are opinions.
    Maybe it's the way how you're expressing yourself.
    To me trading is a game of probabilities. So it's always could, would, or should.
    I watch the market each day 6 hours. So there are times when I say the price WILL go that way, because it HAS to, because there's no other way to go.
    So then, the higher the probability, the more my opinion will turn into a call (?).

But THEN, it's also the skill of the beholder when to utter an opinion or make a call. (you know, the ability to read the market)
    And then, are you the idiot for making the call (wanting to voice your opinion), or for misinterpreting the market, OR just because you wants to get recognized?
    As for the about recognition game, why posting at forums at all? how about we all post our real names here? how about we all show our balance sheets?
    You all know how successful trading can be boring, even as a daytrader.

To me, an idiot walks around without pants and gets beaten up soon.

#11     Apr 16, 2010
  2. LeeD

LeeD

If you start thinking like this, you are not sufficiently comfortable with probabilistic outcome.

"In fact, the degree by which you think you know, you assume you know, or in any way you need to know what is going to happen next, is equal to the degree to which you will fail as a trader." - Mark Douglas "Trading in the zone"

Not necessarily. A call may read "Buy (current price is 200), target 250, stop 198. A call doesn't have to express any confidence in the outcome - just a potential for a profitable trade."

(For most analysts a "call" corresponds to high confidence in the outcome but it doesn't have to.)

As I wrote above in this thread, some may make calls because they are already in the position. So, they need a critical mass to move the price in their favour.

Others may feel satisfaction from helping others. They may have moved to more profitable a startegy.

Also
    Some traders may want to see forum replies. Feedback may provide a valuable indication of the sentiment in the market.

#12     Apr 16, 2010
  3. epetrov

epetrov

Is your statement valid for people who make public their P/Ls??

#13     Apr 19, 2010
  4. I really was trying to express how foolish i felt making the Short X call. For me, the less validation I need from others, the happier I am in life. I'm not trying to suggest I uniquely do not need it or that I am superior to others who may need more.

Rather than talk about "people who make public their P/Ls" I'd rather say that for me to do that would be foolish.

#14     Apr 19, 2010
  5. Enter buy stop just before tomorrow's open at 60.71.

#15     Apr 22, 2010