Only fools are complaining about gas prices

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Yeah, but the local gas stations don't have soft couches or light jazz music playing in the background. And then there are the working fireplaces in winter. You almost never see those at a gas station.

#51     Jun 30, 2008
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Everything is relative. You guys will fondly reminiscence the good ol' days of $4 gasoline 2-3 years from now when you have to pay $6....

Again, everything is relative...

#52     Jun 30, 2008
  3. Do you think I didn't see that? I copied it in there for balance. But the guy who did the study gave the general results and they showed that the smaller vehicles aren't as safe.

It was interesting that (IIRC), the study period includes the period when Fords were having all those problems with Firestone tires.

Oh, and FWIW, if you guys can give Skip Barber classes to the Civic drivers, I can give Skip Barber classes to the SUV drivers. Yes, a car with a higher center of gravity is more apt to roll over, but that was factored into the study, and again...when the guy generalized his results, the bigger cars are still safer. I imagine that they'd be much safer if they factored out rollovers. But I don't need to be a Skip Barber graduate to know that I can't corner fast in my SUV. I also don't use a Civic to tow a travel trailer either.

SM

#53     Jun 30, 2008
  4. paj

paj

Right....!

Given that you didn't even read the article before you started responding to this thread and the fact you didn't mention this the first time you replied to my post, I'm pretty sure you didn't see it.

#54     Jun 30, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

LOL.. odds favor the occupant in the heavier vehicle... but don't kid yourself about the impact... the jolt is waayyy more than you imagine if the masses are close.

#55     Jun 30, 2008
  6. The Civic is safer or = to the general SUVs classes up to 3500 pounds. It is safer than the general pickup classes up to 4500 pounds and those > 5000 pounds

But of course, since it costs you a fortune to fill your tank, I am sure Tahoe drivers are now much safer, as they cannot afford to drive them anymore.

So, whatever.

#56     Jun 30, 2008
  7. You can call me a lot of things...and I'm wrong about many of my predictions... but I'm not a liar. If you have to resort to accusations like that, then don't debate with me. I try not to waste my time on the immature.

SM

#57     Jun 30, 2008
  8. since schlap is another of the growing dozens of aliases for cold/c-kid/gamete, etc.

his opinions are on par with flatulence. It is hard to be moved by anything he says.

He prides himself on being able to say amazingly stupid things under many assumed names

#58     Jun 30, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

More semantic BS.

1. SUV and pickup fatalities include much greater number of "rollover" deaths than passenger cars. Higher center of gravity, easier to roll over, you know.

2. In a collision between a Civic and SUV or pickup, the Civic is at a distinct disadvantage... not only less mass, but lower center of gravity.... much of the Civic's kinetic energy likely to directed BELOW the passenger compartment, slipping under the chassis of the larger vehicle, and much of the kinetic energy of the larger vehicle likely to be directed OVER THE HOOD AND INTO THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT of the smaller vehicle.

The argument as to "which is safer" needs to be further categorized as to (1) collision with WHAT, and (2) rollover.

Except for rollover*incidents, SUVs and pickups are safer than small vehicles.

*Rollovers are bad regardless... but it's much harder to roll a vehicle with a low center of gravity than an SUV

#59     Jun 30, 2008
  10. paj

paj

Getting a little defensive here aren't we.

Let's recap.

1) You wrote:

"So there you go...according to that article, the larger the car, the safer it is for the driver."

2) I pointed out that your statement was incorrect by quoting the last paragraph of the article.

3) You then wrote:
    "Do you think I didn't see that? I copied it in there for balance. But the guy who did the study gave the general results and they showed that the smaller vehicles aren't as safe."

Which is also incorrect. So, given this along with earlier comments, I concluded you hadn't fully read or understood the article.

You didn't like my conclusion so you accused me of being immature!

#60     Jun 30, 2008