Only 2 out of 52 top economists forecast a recession:

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Assumption not correct. Come up with some intellectual arguments instead of leveling these petty attacks.

#21     Jan 25, 2008
  2. I’m sorry day7793, refresh my memory, where did you get your doctorate in economics?

The College of Investors.com? S&P Marketscope University? Intellectually Vacuous State College?

It seems as though you’ve had an epiphany and in record time! From an inability to understand “this see – saw action” to attributing it to the institutional traders.
    This must be an original thesis because I don't see a single citation or quote from the works of any highly regarded individual practicing the dismal science.

Let me ask you, ever live through a recession? Could you call one if it had a name? Where were you during the '70's?

Just
    My2¢¢

#22     Jan 26, 2008

3. Where was I in 70s? Well I can vaguely remember it .. I had long hairs, riding a souped up Harley Davidson with long handle bars and a wore a mustache. Looked like Dennis Hopper in the movie " Easy Rider".. Life was easy, not much money but lots of sex and rock and roll...

I truly miss that now.. being chained to the Internet and the free air blowing through my hairs on a open highway..

#23     Jan 26, 2008

4. Market volatility comes from removing that uptick rule since last year, shorting volumes are more than 40% of the whole tade action any given day... and there is no end in sight. When the shorts and hedgefunds have robbed average johnny luchbuckets they turn the quants to the upside and trade the other way. The same thing next day. If we had that uptick rule most of this volatilty would die in the tracks.

Look at AAPL what they did to it in the last 2 days, its a great company with great fundamentals but trapped under the 200 day MA and the shorts are stabbing it with steely knives... still unable to kill the beast..

#24     Jan 26, 2008
  5. mokwit

mokwit

Dammed "shorts" took all his money.

#25     Jan 26, 2008
  6. This is your thesis, I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just have a few questions. Can you explain to me why from 1997 – 2004 (when the uptick rule was still in effect) that volatility as measured by the VIX was, on any given day, up to 30% higher than where it stands today? Could it possibly be due to the formulaic change in the way that volatility is measured? Could there not be an exogenous factor influencing current market volatility (i.e. a need for liquidity due to a recession)?

Why can’t “average johnny luchbuckets” play the same game that the hedge funds and quants are playing? There are plenty of ETF’s and mutual funds that are designed to capitalize on a downturn in the market and allow the individual investor to play the short side. I took advantage of such a strategy back in Sept. in my retirement portfolio and currently have unrealized gains of nearly 44%.

BTW, You just gave yourself away. You weren’t even alive during the 70’s let alone in this country. Miras como Dennis Hopper, verdad? Porque la vocabularia usas en su descripción.
    Si usted era ese carácter entonces la oración leería como esto:

Wore my hair long, rode my chopper with the ape hangers and had face fungus. Life was smooth man, not much dinero but plenty of pussy and rock and roll.

Y uno más cosa, la palabra en inglés es moustache no el espaňol mustache.

Justo,

Mi 2 centavos

#26     Jan 26, 2008
  7. I agree with 2cents.

"I had long hairs"

A native English speaker would NEVER say that as the word "hair" is already plural. Nor would anyone who has been in the States since the 70's speak this way.

Does this matter for trading? Absolutely not! Makes no difference where you are from. Does show you aren't telling the truth however.

#27     Jan 26, 2008
  8. great, and rumor has it the two who 'actually forecast a recession' have successfully predicted the last 7 out of 5 recessions.

That is an astounding 140% accuracy rate!

these guys have been right for years, ahead that is....
    http://www.mises.org/

#28     Jan 26, 2008