OnlineTradingExpo2K3

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by cartm, Jan 28, 2003.

1. cartm

cartm

1. Is it worth it if you don't trade stocks?
    2. I am not interested in taking any classes, (maybe elder's) so I am basically going to meet some friends, see some products, blah blah, you know the stuff people do at conventions. I would like to know if there are going to be any derivative vendors there, I only saw a few on the website, less than I expected.
    3. Is the Marriott a good deal at 199 a night?.....I figured there only bc thats where the convention is. Better ones within a mile radius?
    4. I was suppose to go the past 2 yrs but couldn't, those of you who have, is it worth it if you don't trade stocks?
    5.I have younger relatives in NYC who are working/going to school, would it be hard getting them a pass to the expo?
    6. Can I yell and make a scene at the vendors I don't like or do they have security.....jk:p ?

Thanks for your input. Are any of you guys/girls going to this thing or is mostly for newbies?

2. gaj

gaj

i went a couple years ago; my answers are based on that experience. i'll be going again this year (taking a train down now that i've moved upstate), but am combining it with hooking up with financial people i used to work with (in person), for dinner and maybe lunch or breakfast? not sure yet what.

now to answer your questions..

>1. Is it worth it if you don't trade stocks?
    i found it extremely biased towards stocks; i don't trade commodities / futures; periodically trade puts/calls on equities.

>2. there are going to be any derivative vendors there, I only saw a few on the website, less than I expected.

derivatives = futures options, or swaps/swaptions? if the latter, not at all. if the first - i don't remember much on options.

>3. Is the Marriott a good deal at 199 a night?.....I figured there

there are TONS of hotels within 10 blocks. you're 4 blocks north of times square. i don't remember the names, but if you're looking for cheaper places, i think the portland (or greater portland?) should be about 3 blocks up, and 1/2 block over. like 47th, between 5/6? the hotels between 5/6, and in the mid 30s, would definitely be cheaper.

>5.I have younger relatives in NYC who are working/going to school, would it be hard getting them a pass to the expo?

nope. i believe you can register online at the site, and it's free.

the place is definitely geared towards the newer trader. i do know that many people are looking to match an online face with a name and hook up with other traders. however, those things are usually somewhat planned in advance.

hope that helps....any other questions, please feel free to ask.

3. nkhoi

nkhoi

4. as a speaker ... it might be worth it just for that alone

although his methods for trading are not for everyone ...

5. EricP

EricP

Get their passes before the Expo. At the event it is something like $50 for a pass. Also, I assume that your younger relatives are at least 18 (or could pass for 18). I tried to take my kids with me two years ago (they were 9 and 11), and they were not allowed into the convention center.

I think it's well worth it to attend. I went to each of the first 5 Online Trading Expos and, unfortunately, have been unable to attend the last two. It's a great way to get in touch with others in the industry.

-Eric

6. sammybea

sammybea

its worth it to go..but beaware. My phone was ringing nonstop with cold callers after i gave my info to the expo. Very annoying.