Online Poker's Big Winner

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Diamond Geezer, Mar 26, 2011.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

Two campers are walking through the woods when a huge brown bear suddenly appears in the clearing about 50 feet in front of them. The bear sees the campers and begins to head toward them. The first guys drops his backpack, digs out a pair of sneakers, and frantically begins to put them on. The second guys says, "What are you doing? Sneakers won’t help you outrun that bear." "I don't need to outrun the bear," the first guy says. "I just need to outrun you."

#11     Mar 28, 2011
  2. This Guy needs to cash out and quit if he can. Being that it is computerized it would be very easy to change the program to negate his advantage. The whole story is most likely just PR to increase traffic.

:cool:

#13     Mar 28, 2011
  3. The whole arena is hype anyway. Your biggest players in the poker world are miniscule in comparison to their counterparts in the trading world.

I once enjoyed playing poker. Those days, not so coincidentally, correlated to my early trading days. As I slowly learned to trade profitably, I also realized that much like trading, while the majority of poker is not a beatable game, there are certain types which are absolutely beatable.

Low stakes (relative term) limit hold-em is one of these beatable games, provided that the rake is realistic. Precisely mathematical play is rewarded by the fact that the majority of players aren't performing the calculations but instead thinking more in generalities and attempting to read body language. That is exactly what these players have discovered. Grinding a low stakes game is profitable, but in order to make it worth it, they must play 10-20 games at once.

As I became a profitable trader, poker became much less interesting. It required much more time to generate similar profits, and it suffered from one hugely limiting characteristic. No matter what I did, I couldn't increase the expectancy. Pot odds are the same regardless of who the competition is. All I could do was play more hands. Conversely, the more time spent trading, the better I got. There was no natural limit.

Poker to me is now exactly what it should be. A way to pass 4-5 hours with some buddies, cracking jokes and telling stories. Outside of that setting I'm completely disinterested.

#14     Mar 28, 2011
  4. #15     Mar 28, 2011
  5. BwPirt

BwPirt

I'm still very new to trading, and don't really understand the correlation to poker and trading. Can anyone explain further?

#16     Mar 28, 2011
  6. money management and being able to stick to strategy grinding out profits.

#17     Mar 28, 2011
  7. Agree with what surf said for the most part, but would like to point out that for about 99% of traders, there will be no discernible difference between gambling and trading, because those traders are indeed gambling.

#18     Mar 28, 2011
  8. That topic has been discussed all over this forum, TL, etc... try the search function and see what you find.

#19     Mar 28, 2011
  9. Yes I find it hard to fathom how anyone can trust a company that is not based in the US. LOL, most of these sites are traded publicly in Europe and have all the regulations in place just like they would in the US. Also, believe it or not most successful poker players pay their taxes so Im not sure what the IRS is going to do, but I can assure you they certainly do not have jurisdiction to go seize your poker account which is held in a foreign bank. The level of ignorance and stupidity in your post is astounding.

#20     Mar 28, 2011