Online Poker sucks

Discussion in 'Politics' started by caddyshack2006, Apr 15, 2006.

1. it's nice to know the same psychological shortcoming that affect (and continue to produce) losing traders, produce losing poker players.

i quote : "I'm giving up on online poker. Blew through 2k in half a day. i think it's rigged."

c'mon. get real.

these companies make hyoooge bank from rake. they have every reason to be VERY vigilant about detecting cheating. they have algorithms that detect this, not to mention the prop players, and it's easy to detect colluding.

what stakes were you playing?

playing beyond your bankroll, especially with little experience is a sure way to go broke. VARIANCE. VARIANCE. VARIANCE. not to mention that in poker, just like trading, scared money is lost $$$.

in the short run, you will lose because your position sizing (to use a trading term) is not consistent with your bankroll. you HAVE to have that idea down. because even a brilliant player can (and does) suffer bad beats. heck, even a 50% coin toss can come up heads 10 times in a row. just yesterday, i went all in on KK and got smoked by somebody who went all in on AA. that's POKER. it's GAMBLING.

i've been doing it a matter of weeks, love it, and i make money. very small, because i devoted a very small bankroll to poker. assuming you are beginning/new to online poker, it would be insane to even BE able to lose 2k in one day. for pete's sake, they have freerolls, low limit ring games, and even some nice tournaments you can enter for $1 to $5. learn the game.

#21     Apr 16, 2006
  2. btw, i realized i didn't make it clear. the losing mindset i was referring to was the inability to take personal responsibility for trading losses "it's rigged" "the market makers colluded against me" "my broker gives bad fills", etc. etc. etc.

spare me

#22     Apr 16, 2006
  3. Ricter

Ricter

It is an absolute certainty that a packet sniffing app has been written to aid players, and basically give them a perfect memory for all the cards that have been shown in the current hand. It can then, with rather simple coding, give you suggestions. Possibly it's even been tweaked to alter its suggestions to a "style" you pick. This type of app has long been in use for far more complicated online games than poker.

Throw in some chat with a buddy at the same table, using Skype for example, and you have your edge.

#23     Apr 16, 2006
  4. "It is an absolute certainty that a packet sniffing app has been written to aid players, and basically give them a perfect memory for all the cards that have been shown in the current hand. It can then, with rather simple coding, give you suggestions."

so what? that isn't being "rigged" or cheating. that's an aid available to EVERY online poker player. use one.

in live poker, you can rely on physical tells, etc. in online poker, you can rely on odds programs.

both can help your poker. it is not RIGGED, since everybody has access to them.

" Possibly it's even been tweaked to alter its suggestions to a "style" you pick."

yes. so what?

" This type of app has long been in use for far more complicated online games than poker."

and if you blew 2k before researching, downloading one of these programs, and taking the responsibility for yOURSELF to affranchise yourself of ALL the available legal tools, then it's YOUR fault.

that's my point. take responsibility.

these programs will not MAKE you a good player. they will help you develop an edge against inferior players. poker is a negative sum game (with rake. otherwise, it's zero sum). if you don't take personal responsibility to develop your edge, then you only have yourself to blame

just like in trading

#24     Apr 16, 2006
  5. Ricter

Ricter

So what so what so what. There's a scratch in your vinyl.

My point is the same as yours, but in a hundred fewer words. Plus, it wasn't my $2k. Reading comprehension ftw.

Buh bye.

#25     Apr 16, 2006
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

colluding....hahahahaha...id love to play on a table where 2 knuckle heads are colluding...lilhabana paradise poker 50/100 nl let me know

#26     Apr 16, 2006
  7. while we're on the subject whats the best poker site out there and why? I play on pokerstars, seems ok to me.

#27     Apr 16, 2006
  8. Party Poker

I don't know why.

#28     Apr 16, 2006
  9. party poker has a lot of freerolls, and a lot of fish

those are both low budget ways to hone your skills, make some $$$, and find some fish. i really like party poker.

i am a member of Poker Stars, Full Tilt, Poker Room, and Titan

I like Poker Stars and Titan the best.

they each have their +'s and -'s

#29     Apr 17, 2006