Online Hacking-Insider Job?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by scalpmaster, Oct 27, 2006.

1. mbay

mbay

It is possible that it could be planned from the inside by employees, but I mean if your a mutlimillion dollar company, I hope management has the sense to install an internal affairs division (employe monitoring, security, etc).

That is still high risk, if you get caught, your going to share a jail cell with buba, it is definately not work the risk if your an employee.

#11     Oct 28, 2006
  2. If an employee is only getting an average pay of less than 50k/year, all the more he/she would take the risk of siphoning the millions out from various accts and migrating, sucking pina colada under some coconut tree on some remote island...
    :D

#12     Oct 29, 2006
  3. If online hacking is happening to trading accts,
    isn't Internet Banking/wiretransfer another excuse
    for funds to be misplaced and blame put on phantom hackers?

Sometimes these hackers who think they are so smart do not understand they are just victims for diversion from the real thing...What are their chances of being sucessful and being
    caught?

No wonder one of the gurus from a seminar I attended said it
    was safer to hide cash under your bed nowadays than to put it
    in the bank

:p

#13     Oct 29, 2006
  4. Do you happen to know this guru's address?:D

#14     Oct 29, 2006
  5. heres my first post to this site...

Key loggers are all over the the net. go to dos and do a "netstat -a" to see if your machine is connected / sending info out (key logs). I can bet a good percentage of people on this forum will have some.

A firewall will not help as this thing is sending keystrokes OUT to some address.

Eventually I think online brokers will start passing out secure ids that generate a different code every 30 seconds to log in. Sort of like the IB securecomputing thing to transfer funds. Most corporate VPNs do this for a while.

On thing you could do to is install good spyware (not virus scanners or firewall). And not install *any* pirated software.

#15     Oct 29, 2006
  6. mbay

mbay

I don't think so, if you can think of a plan to abuse your employement for millions, I think you can think of a plan to earn a million too.

Plus, what good is living on a remote island, when you have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life 24/7.

Imagine if you have a family later on, what are you going to do for protection outside the US let alone in the US.

#16     Oct 29, 2006
  7. zdreg

zdreg

the article suggest blocking the cd drive. how do block the computer from booting from the cd drive?

what happens if the hard drive goes down
    can you still reboot from a boot cd?

#17     Oct 29, 2006
  8. zdreg

zdreg

mbay

10-29-06 01:29 AM

Quote from scalpmaster:

If an employee is only getting an average pay of less than 50k/year, all the more he/she would take the risk of siphoning the millions out from various accts and migrating, sucking pina colada under some coconut tree on some remote island...

I don't think so, if you can think of a plan to abuse your employement for millions, I think you can think of a plan to earn a million too.

Plus, what good is living on a remote island, when you have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life 24/7.

Imagine if you have a family later on, what are you going to do for protection outside the US let alone in the US.

it takes only one person who is in a hurry to prove your remarks wrong.

#18     Oct 29, 2006
  9. mbay

mbay

ZDREG:

I think your missing the big picture, there will always be rotten apples, but assuming there is good security management protocols in place (we are talking about companies like etrade) and employees understand how high the risk is, most likely it is hackers and not employees.

I am arguing that it is 100% hackers, I am just stating that its most likely hackers rather then employees.

#19     Oct 29, 2006
  10. zdreg

zdreg

someone working for the co. with computer skills and insight to security procedures has the edge over an outside hacker.

#20     Oct 29, 2006