Online colleges accelerating at a "crazy fast" pace.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Bob111

Bob111

---The testing may come when you apply for a job.---

that was the case with IT jobs decade ago and still in place. no one cares about where you graduated. but they do care about what you can do.
    demonstrate it ,and you are hired. but once again-you can't apply this 'model' to any field. the good thing is that there is some competition and i hope it will drive those crazy bubble prices down.

#31     Apr 22, 2013
  2. I graduated from A CUNY with bachelors degree in fiance. Years later I wanted to get a masters in accounting. I was unable to get into private school because I was missing 12 credits in additional accounting classes. So in my case Phoenix was great they were accredited so I took the 4 classes I needed and enrolled into a private college. Instead of wasting extra time and money. Online is perfect for certain classes.

#32     Apr 23, 2013
  3. Humpy

Humpy

I think the average Joe has finally realised how important education is for getting a good job. All that goofing around on street corners/bars etc. is really only for mindless morons to waste their time.
    They could call the 21st century, the century of brain power.

#33     Apr 23, 2013
  4. wartrace

wartrace

If anyone else is considering doing this PLEASE look at LSU distance learning. They offer distance and online accounting courses (and many other courses) for 425 dollars a class. You get credits from Louisiana State University that transfer anywhere.

I don't know what the University of Phoenix charges but I suspect it is much higher.

#34     Apr 23, 2013
  5. Humpy

Humpy

#35     Apr 23, 2013
  6. piezoe

piezoe

I think it is fair to say that no one has yet learned to tap dance, and do it really well, from an on-line video-- not yet anyway. :D

#36     Apr 23, 2013
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Could always go to Pakistan for a free course in driving a truck etc.

:eek:

#37     Apr 23, 2013
  8. #38     Apr 28, 2013
  9. MrN

MrN

Public education has two purposes, prioritized in this order:

1. Create stable middle class jobs with decent pay
    2. Provide education to students

The system is not able to innovate effectively because many innovations interfere with the primary purpose of public education.

The situation is not that much different for most public and private universities. The primary purpose of these institutions is harvesting government backed student loan money for the benefit of administrators and faculty (high paying upper middle class jobs), not providing a good value proposition education for students.

#39     Apr 28, 2013
  10. Humpy

Humpy

A new form of Luddism may get rough with the metal competitors. Not so much in the greedy capitalist USA but more elsewhere.
    The rich won't care who makes what as long as the dividends keep coming. The poor in many countries are already on only about $1 a day. These robots will lower that to .....er.......nothing..

#40     Apr 28, 2013