Online colleges accelerating at a "crazy fast" pace.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Humpy

Humpy

There should be a guarantee clause in the legal mumbo jumbo stating that the student would, after graduation go on to be profitable.
    It is not there yet but in years to come when the business hots up it may be.

#11     Apr 22, 2013
  2. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

unless you're going to a good tech school or an ivy or near ivy university, private schools make zero sense.

#12     Apr 22, 2013
  3. 1) Did you graduate from Syracuse or Rutgers? :confused:
    2) If you go to a private school, you're more likely to be able to participate in lacrosse or rugby compared to if you go to a public school. :cool:

#13     Apr 22, 2013
  4. Bob111

Bob111

true.but state or if you are out of state ain't cheap either :p

#14     Apr 22, 2013
  5. wartrace

wartrace

I think online education is going to take off. Not the "University of Phoenix" or "DeVry" type of for profit schools but in traditional schools. The University of Alabama, University of Maryland and Louisiana State University already have 100% online degree programs.

I think elementary and secondary eduction might be even MORE effective online. If anyone has looked at the Khan academy as a model it is 100% no Bullshit education right in your face.

I think it could revolutionize the way children are educated.

1) We could eliminate the need for so many useless teachers. With the children learning online we could probably retain 20% of the good teachers to provide additional tutoring to the slow learners.

2) We could eliminate the public expense of school buildings. We scale them back to one "learning center" per school district. Kids only go to the learning center when they need the help of a teacher.

3) We do away with the "busing" of students. The kids either stay at home and learn or the PARENTS pay for daycare if they choose to work.

4) We do away with all the extra bullshit that schools cause such as bullying, school shootings, drugs and other problems.

5) We do away with expensive extra curricular activity. If a kid wants to play in a band or play football let them join a club THEIR parents pay for.

6) We eliminate the influences of disruptive children. The teacher has to "teach" to the slowest kid in the class. Rather than drag everyone down with him/her the slow kid would learn at his/her own pace (or not at all).

A lot of children are homeschooled and continue on to universities. Why should we continue to fund a broken system that can only seem to educate half the children that attend? Why do we spend 5,000 to 10,000 dollars per year on each student when we could achieve better results for 1/10th the cost?

#15     Apr 22, 2013
  6. zdreg

zdreg

"I think elementary and secondary eduction might be even MORE effective online"

it would be an additional tool for parents who educate their children through home schooling.

#16     Apr 22, 2013
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Just buy and then play the DVDs with an online for questions etc.
    In fact the students of tomorrow may not even need to get outa bed.

:p

#17     Apr 22, 2013
  8. Lesson-1: Hamburger Flipping Techniques
    Lesson-2: Deep Fryer Operating Procedures
    Lesson-3: Soft Drink Dispenser Operating Procedures
    Lesson-4: Expedient Trash Removal
    Lesson-5: Effective Use of Floor Cleaning Apparatus......:cool: :eek: :( :p

#18     Apr 22, 2013
  9. online is for losers. or old people who are also losers.

I will put it in quotes so you clowns will take it more seriously.

"Studies have shown that online graduates are 87% more likely to be anti-social and fail at life".

if you hate people, fine, do it online......

if you are dumb enough to pay 60k a year (probably 100k after interest and delaying payments), they should give you an F.

2 choices. pay off a house, or get a bad education. 60k times 4, plus interest.....350K easy.

I know an old loser who got straight A's from Phoenix or whatever....cost him 80k for an MBA. he lost his house in foreclosure and has horrible job.....still 2 years after getting this worthless degree.

his life is over. debt owns him until death. sucker

#19     Apr 22, 2013
  10. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

I went to a public flagship university, best decision I made. I did grad work at a prestigious private university and I definitely regret that.

In terms of your sports statement, I agree totally about that for high school. It's very hard to get varsity at many public high schools, and for high school, doing varsity sports is important. But at college, unless you're really good, sports don't make a lot of sense. Just have fun.

#20     Apr 22, 2013