Online colleges accelerating at a "crazy fast" pace.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Apr 21, 2013.

1. A middle-class family I know recently had a financial catastrophe.

They applied for early admission at a good, but not great, 4 year college that everyone has heard of. This early admission binds you to that college if you are accepted.

Unfortunately, the college reacted with glee to their application, accepted them, and gave them no financial aid. A little over 60k each year, not counting travel costs.

Think about it. Traditional 4 year college, at a full fare price, could be the biggest financial catastrophe for a middle class family. How else are you going to spend a quarter million dollars, with no sure benefit over cheaper alternatives?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/11/a-...acing-physical-colleges-at-a-crazy-fast-pace/

2. “students who took all or part of their class online performed better, on average, than those taking the same course through traditional face-to-face instruction.”

That says a lot.

3. Bob111

Bob111

it may work in some fields,but top paid(pre med for example and so on-i doubt it). who would accept some 'online' college in med school? or law firm?
    but i agree- 60K a year is a rape(and i'm paying it as we speak)
    Thanks to the gvt intervention once again.

4. It's so easy to cheat with online coursework I can't imagine people taking those degrees and their GPA's very seriously.

5. 1) When was the last time you heard someone brag about the guy they hired who "graduated" from Phoenix or Capella? :confused: :p :D :) :cool: :eek:
    2) Early admission isn't legally binding. A prospective student can renege with no consequences.......right? :confused:

6. piezoe

piezoe

7. piezoe

piezoe

That says nothing. Nothing whatsoever. There is no useful information in the quoted statement above.

8. zdreg

zdreg

other than expecting the person to accept your retort on faith why don't you explain why the original statement "says" nothing.

9. zdreg

zdreg

maybe this family needs a lawyer.
    in any case start with this link
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...9-early-decision-isnt-really-binding-now.html

10. zdreg

zdreg

#10     Apr 22, 2013