One straightforward but hard-to-answer question on dual-WAN routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J.P., Aug 2, 2010.

1. J.P.

J.P.

I am trying to determine the failover speed of some dual-WAN routers prior to purchase. (Assuming you have two broadband connections, it's the length of time between losing your main connection and picking up on your secondary connection; i.e., the length of time without an Internet connection.) This has been difficult.

What I have so far:

Cisco RV042: average = 45 seconds, but fallback (reconnection to the main connection when available) is manual, source = Website review. Called Cisco, they didn't know but they would have someone get back with me.

Netgear FVS124GL: nearly 3 minutes, source = Web poster

Falcon failover router: 7 seconds for "most," source = tradingcomputers.com

Hotbrick: someone said this is difficult to setup so I didn't bother looking into it.

Xincom: sent an e-mail to info@xincom.com which immediately got a Mail Delivery Failed return. Called them at 10 a.m. Pacific time and the phone just rang and rang. Also, there was a post that the User's Manual was written by someone whose first language is not English.

I am particularly interested in the Cisco RV042. I believe its failover may be much shorter than 45 seconds; if someone could confirm it would be appreciated.

And if you have a dual-WAN router of any make, it would be quite helpful if you would post your failover speed.

2. I am no longer much interested in dual wan, but Xincom and Hotbrick are the same with different packaging.

I would look at Peplink too, looks much more professional than many others http://www.peplink.com/balance/benefits/

3. J.P.

J.P.

I didn't know that about Xincom/Hotbrick, thanks. And Peplink looks like it is another that doesn't post its failover speed but I'll look further, thank you for that.

4. maxpi

maxpi

Hotbrick went belly up.

5. dont

dont

I use a draytek Vigor, I have both lines running at the same time so if on fails the other is already there and on.

6. J.P.

J.P.

Thanks, that would explain Xincom's lack of response.

7. J.P.

J.P.

What you are doing is load-balancing, is that right? So if you have load-balancing you intrinsically have failover, correct? If so, could I assume any twin-WAN router with load-balancing would be the same? Do I have this right?

8. I have Linksys RVS082 with firmware: 2.0.0.19-tm (Feb 20 2009 15:15:20) and tested yesterday via pulling one plug while pinging an external site (yahoo.com). I experienced various delays from ~125ms up to about 15seconds. Average over the 5 or so tests was under 5 seconds.

WAN-1 is 100mbit symetrical line, WAN-2 is fast DSL. Hope that helps.

Also, I'm able to sustain (not burst sustain) mid-90 megabit up/down on my 100mbit line via the RVS082 whereas on my Linksys WRT610N gigabit router I was only able to burst into the 90's and sustain in the 60's. The CPU/processor in the RVS will be much better than in any retail grade router (unless your RVS is really really old).

9. dont

dont

Yep load balancing you can set the policy, Draytek seem to be quite good but I am sure other routers are probably just as good

10. J.P.

J.P.

Thanks, Winston, that does help. And I hadn't considered the CPU/processor before but I will now.

#10     Aug 3, 2010