One of the reasons I like Position Trading

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Buy1Sell2, Apr 18, 2006.

What kind opf trader are you?

1. I am a position trader

132 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. I am a swing trader(overnight)

137 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. I am a day trader

207 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Hell, just take a look at the Trader Monthly list of traders. A few energy pit bandits (and I mean bandits, masks and six shooters) but the resounding majority are position traders.

#11     Apr 18, 2006
  2. I am primarily a swing trader, whose occasional trades convert into winning longer term position trades...

I also dabble with daytrading now and again, but I am not as young as I used to be, and I don't have the energy for doing that kind of thing intensively...

#12     Apr 18, 2006
  3. ech15

ech15

no no you still have it.. i mean really its not that intense.. its just that its really not worth the time or the effort to do it that way anymore.

#13     Apr 20, 2006
  4. I am a daytrader, maybe that's one of the reasons I'm losing money!

#14     Apr 20, 2006
  5. ==============
    Buy sell 2;

Good points about keeping comission costs reasonably in line;
    & some markets just seem to fit well with position trading,
    like long oil & gas stocks sometimes.:cool: Probably another reason CME,BOT,OXPS ,TRAD ,LEH sector is uptrending so well

The times the 50 day ma trend was nicely down in oil gas stocks, didnt like to keep shorts over night, even though it could have worked.

Other markets, @ least the last 12 months worked nicely also flat @ end of day;
    shorted some oil/gas stocks, when 50 dma proved it,
    & hourly charts with long some /short some on ES,YM.

#15     Apr 20, 2006
  6. volente_00

volente_00

but what is the opportunity cost of missing out on short term trading the swings ?

#16     Apr 20, 2006
  7. sometimes the opportunity cost is goofing around with the small swings and missing the big picture and the big money.

#17     Apr 20, 2006
  8. Hi Rhymes. Admire your conviction on setting out onto a path less traveled. I am wondering why you've chosen such. It is kinda strange to be in a prop futures shop where 99% of traders scalp and you decide not to be "one with" the shop. What event got you to this thinking? THanks

#18     Apr 20, 2006
  9. most of the guys are struggling with scalping, I see the emotional damage being inflicted, I'm convinced that the shorter the time frame, the more random and unpredictable the price action. Actually, a lot of the office is headed in the longer-term direction. We have superior news gathering and research skills, I believe that gives an edge.

#19     Apr 20, 2006
  10. Emotional damage ...interesting. Ist time someone mentioned that in the context of short term scalping...I am waaaayyy past that...LOL

#20     Apr 20, 2006