One more time. POLL: If you trade index futures, do you trade more than one market?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Thunderdog, Jun 4, 2007.

Please choose the option that best describes you:

1. I only trade one index futures market and have been trading for LESS than 5 years overall.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. I only trade one index futures market and have been trading for MORE than 5 years overall.

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. I trade more than one index futures market and have been trading for LESS than 5 years overall.

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. I trade more than one index futures market and have been trading for MORE than 5 years overall.

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. I trade index futures markets as well as other markets, and have been trading for LESS than 5 years

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  6. I trade index futures markets as well as other markets, and have been trading for MORE than 5 years

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. I'm curious to know how many ETers who trade index futures trade only one market. Further, I would like to see how this preference varies depending on overall level of trading experience, using 5 years of total trading experience as the line of demarcation. So, if you trade index futures please participate in this poll. Any comments you may have are welcome.

Thanks for participating.

P.S. My earlier attempt to post a similar thread did not display the poll options and, for some reason, I was not able to delete that thread.)

2. I find it interesting that, of the 20 people who participated in the poll thus far, over half of those who trade index futures trade only one market. Although I follow two, I almost exclusively trade only one of them. Heck, I thought I was lazy. (Well, perhaps I am, but I'm not alone. :) )

3. Follow ES, NQ and YM but mainly trade NQ and then ES. Of coruse as my name implies, futures are not the largest part of my portfolio :).

4. Thanks to everyone who has participated in the poll. Thus far, over 60% of the respondents who trade index futures trade only one market.

Would any of you care to explain why that is? The obvious answer is that one index market traded intraday can easily keep your hands full, depending on how intensive your trading strategy is. However, I don't wish to make any assumptions, thereby projecting my own views onto others. So, is it because you cannot sufficiently cover more markets or because you simply prefer not to? Or is there another reason?

Please advise.