one in five U.S. households ran out of money to buy enough food

Discussion in 'Economics' started by WallStWhizKid, Jan 27, 2010.

1. The economic slowdown has coincided with a sharp increase in food prices, which has
    exacerbated hardship for many low-income families also facing high gas prices (and by the fall and
    winter, very high home heating bills). Unfortunately, during periods of rapid food inflation, the
    Food Stamp Program’s current rules do not ensure that needy families and individuals receive
    sufficient support to obtain a nutritionally adequate diet.
    Food stamp benefits are adjusted annually for food price inflation, but the adjustment is based on
    lagged data that are four months old at the beginning of the fiscal year and 15 months out of date by the end of the
    fiscal year.

http://www.alliancetoendhunger.org/...ionAdjustmentLags-CenteronBudgetandPolicy.pdf

#11     Jan 29, 2010
  2. Some folk can't make it due to lack of a job. It's not just ignorance, although that plays it's part.
    It's a drastic, sudden lack of income.
    The hateful posts here are just amazing. I've added 4 to my Ignore List just from this one thread.

#12     Jan 29, 2010
  3. wonder if this anti hunger grp is full of shit

#13     Jan 29, 2010
  4. monee

monee

I find 1 in 5 very hard to believe.

#14     Jan 29, 2010
  5. This is a serious problem and will be a crisis within the next 12 months. Just look at the Point of sale advertisements at your local convenience store. Previously they were for coupons and local promotions and now they are the local crime blotter. No Job, No Money = increase in survival crime. Shop Lifting, robberies etc.

In 2008 when unemployment was < 5% Over 2% of the US population was in jail or on supervision.

* Nearly 5.1 million adults were under community supervision at year end 2008the equivalent of about 1 in every 45 adults in the United States. 1.7 Million adults are jailed...

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=1764

#15     Jan 29, 2010
  6. I think most affected are the single-mothers who are struggling to feed her children.

#16     Feb 3, 2010
  7. l2tradr

l2tradr

There is no excuse for 90% of the US population to not have enough to eat. It's about choices, saving for the proverbial rainy days, etc. Not running out and maxing CCs, living paycheck to payckeck, taking out HELOCs and going out to eat and buying the latest toys all the time.

#17     Feb 3, 2010
  8. Ebby

Ebby

+1

#18     Feb 3, 2010