One if by land, two if by sea, three if by air

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hii a_ooiioo_a, Apr 8, 2003.

1. white17

white17

If you are a less than silent majority, why do polls show over 70+% support for the war ?

A nation is it's people, not it's government. I believe you will see many Iraqis supporting coalition forces rather than taking up arms against them.

From your posts I assume you believe that France was unjust and immoral in assisting us in the Revolution.

If I had to guess, I'd guess you are well intentioned, quite young, and never been in the military.

I would appreciate it if you and Ben Franklin point out a lasting peace that has been achieved without military victory.

#11     Apr 8, 2003
  2. ktm

ktm

Hii is just another example of someone enjoying their life here in the candy store, blind to the path which we have taken to have such a wonderful country.

We have certainly made mistakes over the years and it's too early to tell how history will judge our current actions. This is not the time to give our troops pause by lending credence to protesting their service to country. Many young boys not unlike him have died protecting his right to vote our leader from office next year. Ben Franklin would dooty his cotton britches if he saw this world today and what has come of it.

#12     Apr 8, 2003
    • People are willing to be led like sheep, even by a wolf. When they start to see more and more dismembered sheep, however, the flock will gradually clue in to the notion that the wolf is someone to avoid, not follow.
    • If the Iraqis willingly support this invasion, hopefully some good may come out of it all, and hopefully those Iraqis will not come to be betrayed yet again and regret having welcomed a Trojan Horse into their nation.
    • France was asked by the United States for assistance. Did the Iraqis ask us to start this war upon them? Um, no. They asked us to please use reason and restraint and respect the non-findings of the U.N. weapons inspections.
      It was the monarchical French nobility that assisted the Americans in their revolution against England. When the French people emulated the Americans by revolting against the French nobility, the United States did not help the French nobility that assisted them. In fact, the Americans never repaid the financial debts it owed to the French nobility for their assitance in our revolution.
    • I am well-intentioned, and I have never been in the military. 2 out of 3 is a good return.
    • Ben Franklin did not live to see it, but may I refer you to May 17, 1814. Norway gained its independence from Denmark on that date without bloodshed. It has been a lasting peace, with the exception of the Nazi occupation. Peace good. Occupation bad.

#13     Apr 8, 2003
  3. ktm

ktm

...and how exactly would they "ask us to start a war"? Email? Maybe a public referendum? I don't think I need to tell you the outcome of someone caught communicating in the most basic way with the United States. In a truly secret ballot, I guess you believe Hussein would still get 99.8% of the votes???

Somehow I doubt your "less than silent majority" is standing behind such a hollow argument. Maybe you should turn the channel away from the Iraqi Minister of Information

#14     Apr 8, 2003
  4. Oh please, let's hope the Iraqi information minister keeps up those presss conferences for a longer - you can't turn the channel off him! In the midst of war, one needs a little comic entertainment - and he's the best!

:p

#15     Apr 8, 2003
    • The express purpose of the original post in this thread was to remind people of the path which we took which brought us to the revolution at Lexington, and to point out the bitter irony of the fact that we have taken on the role the British played on that date. Perhaps adding to the irony is the fact that we are partnered with Britain in this military invasion.
    • Right to vote. That's funny. As if "your leader" (I refuse to call him my leader) has the slightest respect for the electoral process. As if voting against him made any difference for residents of Florida while his brother was governor of Florida, or as if voting against him will make any difference while he occupies the White House. And that's what he's doing, he's occupying the White House the same way he plans to occupy Iraq.
    • Don't know what makes you people presume I am a young boy. I'm probably older than at least one, if not both, of you.
    • Ben Franklin would be speaking out against this imperialist invasion if he were alive today, and you would be calling him traitor and coward and all the rest that you call me. And you'd be calling him a young boy, even though he would be 289 years old.

p.s. if our soldiers are so uncertain of the rightness of their being in Iraq that the slightest wiff that there's any protest whatsoever over here is enough to unnerve them, either their resolve is rather weaker than you claim it should be, or they are less brave than you want to credit them with being, or both.

#16     Apr 8, 2003
  5. Ebo

Ebo

If you are so against our presence in Iraq, stop profiting from the market swings as a result.

GET OFF THIS BOARD.

#17     Apr 8, 2003
  6. Well reasoned Ebo :confused: {squiggles of sarcasm rising from my bald smiley head}

Perhaps my protests and all other protesters are contributing to the market swings you wish to attribute to the war. So in like manner, if you are so in favor of our presence in Iraq, you should stop profiting from the market swings caused by my protest. "GET OFF THIS BOARD" yourself. :p

#18     Apr 8, 2003
  7. vonk

vonk

We don't fight wars anymore. In war, the victors take the damn spoils. We are not plundering the people, destroying everything in our path, taking the very ample assets of the conquered country. We are taking out a thug. A thug that has suppressed a population to such a degree that he received 100% of the vote during the last election. Have you really thought about what that fact. What would have to happen to a population to have 100% of them vote for a leader? This is a massive police action. In 10 years when all the Iragis are driving new Mercedes you will see this.

#19     Apr 8, 2003
  8. JayS

JayS

It was a ligit question. I wanted your response not Benji's.

#20     Apr 8, 2003