One-handed linebacker makes statement with combine show

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tom B, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Tom B

Tom B

This is very inspiring. I hope he gets drafted.

One-handed linebacker makes statement with combine show

Shaquem Griffin wants to make history. His performance at the NFL Scouting Combine on Saturday was just a taste.

The Central Florida linebacker is looking to become the first one-handed player to be drafted into the league in the modern era. He won’t know for almost two months whether he will accomplish that goal, but he definitely made teams sit up and take notice with his combine performance.

Wearing a prosthetic attached to his left arm, Griffin did 20 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds, all to the loudest cheers of the day from a raucous crowd excited to witness the feat.

“My goal was six,” Griffin said at his press conference afterward. “I think I beat that by a lot. … Just being able to do that, it was amazing. Hearing the crowd and having the juices flowing, I mean, I felt it.”

Griffin’s left hand was amputated when he was 4 years old as a result of a congenital condition. Despite the handicap, he was a two-year starter at Central Florida, earning two selections to the All-American Athletic Conference first team. He also was named AAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2016, when he amassed 92 tackles, 11.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception.
    The 6-foot, 227-pound defenseman, whose twin brother is a cornerback for the Seahawks, said he plans to do DB drills and linebacker drills at the combine, but when speaking to the press, Griffin offered his services at any position an NFL team needs him.

“I don’t have to be the guy who just [rushes] the quarterback,” Griffin said. “If you need somebody who can cover – and not just tight ends, I can cover slots, too – you watch some film. I got a few interceptions against some slot. I want to be able to show NFL teams: Whatever you need help at, I can play it.”

And that applies to more than just defense.

“You want me to play kicker or punter, all I gotta do is get a good stretch in and warm my foot up,” the reigning Peach Bowl defensive MVP said. “I think I can kick the ball, too.”

It seems unlikely any team will take him as a kicker, but as an addition to an NFL defense, Griffin’s 20 reps on the bench press may be enough of a calling card to earn a shot.

“It felt good to do that many reps,” Griffin said. “I didn’t know I had it in me, but it came out today.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/03/one-handed-linebacker-makes-statement-with-combine-show/

Sig and vanzandt like this.
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

13-0 and they beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Auburn! How bad ass is that?
    I hope he gets the nod too, but either way, he's gonna be successful in any endeavor he pursues. There is no doubt. Very cool.

images.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Tom B and Sig like this.
  3. He ran a 4.38 40 which is smoking. Somehow he is able to catch balls cleanly too.

4. Sig

Sig

And then you read his letter to GMs (https://www.theplayerstribune.com/shaquem-griffin-ucf-nfl-draft-letter-to-general-managers/) and it turns out the guys a pretty damn good writer as well. For sure he's going to be successful, no question about it. I know this is sacrilege, but it would really almost be a waste if he did end up playing football given what he could accomplish in the world.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  5. With his speed set and the fact that he had no problem making tackles, sacks or stripping a QB in college and caught balls in the combine, no reason he cannot be an OLB in the NFL. He is not missing an arm, just the hand...

Clubber Lang likes this.
  6. RRY16

RRY16

I think his brother plays for The Seattle Seahawks.

7. Sig

Sig

Twin brother. I read an interesting article in the Seattle paper today that essentially they're pissed (in a good natured way) that their secret got out because Pete Carroll loves the guy and was definitely going to pick him up even before the rest of the world discovered him, now it'll take a higher draft pick.

RRY16 likes this.
  8. Major league baseball had an armless 2nd baseman. His name was Bucky LaGrange.

Clubber Lang likes this.