One Amazon option chain is down while AMZN is up?!?!

Discussion in 'Options' started by JML845, Jan 13, 2017.

1. JML845

JML845

Hey I have a some AMZN JanWeek4 call options. Today every call in this chain is down even though Amazon is up. It only seems to be the JanWeek4's that are down. Any other expiration date and all the calls are up(which would make sense since the stock is up today). Anyone have any idea why that would happen?

• amzn.jpg
      amzn.jpg
      File size:
      146.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Surgo

Surgo

3. JML845

JML845

Surgo, are you saying its normal for one expiration date to go down significantly in price, while all other expiration dates go up in price? I understand the basics of options pricing. I just don't understand why this scenario is happening.

4. Did you factor in the earnings expirations? Obviously, pre-earnings IV's will be more contained as opposed to post-earnings expirations.

5. JML845

JML845

If amazon moved their earnings date to after these options expire, that would make sense. That would affect only this chain. I don't see any news about Amazon moving their date though.

6. zdreg

zdreg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. pyradius

pyradius

Q4 2016 earnings estimated to be reported on 1/26/2017 and these options expire on 1/27/2017, no?

8. JML845

JML845

9. JML845

JML845

Correct. These options should expire the day after earnings are reported.

10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Both Zdreg and surgo are idiots who think they are smart And thus act like arrogant pricks. 1/26 hasn't been confirmed yet. its looking more likely that the earning will be the following week but amazin hasn't announced the date.

#10     Jan 13, 2017
    JML845 likes this.