... on winning the Lottery / PowerBall

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by limitdown, Jan 7, 2011.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

The current breakeven jackpot for a $2 powerball play is $287,281,536. By the time you add in taxes and the whole cash-versus-annuity nonsense (I want cash!), it probably doesn't make sense to buy in before the jackpot hits $400M.

The recent jackpot had a lumpsum of $221M so no sale.

The good news is that when California joins the Powerball next month, there will be a lot more suckers to grow the jackpot faster. :p

#11     Mar 25, 2013
  2. Ok, this is obviously a prelude to your announcement of some other opportunity to gain $350 million. Don't hold out on us!

#12     Mar 25, 2013
  3. We have a nice scholarship program in TN thanks to the lottery. Everyone who meets the educational requirements gets $2-4,000. It's not necessarily a joke either as far as requirements go.

I believe you get like $4,000 a year if you go to a 4yr school and $2,000 a year for a 2 yr school. Up to 4 years as long as you maintain the grade requirements. I went to school out of state for a year so I lost it :(

Just wanted to mention a perk of having the lottery lol. Also, anytime I play I play MegaMillions. Instead of $2 a ticked like powerball it is only $1. So you can buy twice the chances for the same price!

ORRR if you are feeling a little crazy you can play the TN Cash game which starts around a $2-400,000 jackpot I think and it's odds are like 1 in 1 million or so. Significantly better than the BIG jackpots. Either way still terrible odds lol

#13     Mar 25, 2013
    #14     Mar 25, 2013
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

Lotteries are a tax on the mathematically impaired. :p

#15     Mar 26, 2013
  6. r-in

r-in

I'll tell you what my Dad used to do and seemed to win at least one item almost every year. He would enter every local contest or raffle. He hit on this decades ago when he would walk to lunch and cut through a department store. They would have a contest regularly and he'd throw his name in the bucket. He won shoes, ties, a sweater, and the big one then(~20+ years ago), a 32" Sony in a Teak wood case with sliding door and matching VCR stand. Damn thing was so big they almost didn't make it through the door of his house.
    Local offers small population and in general much lower odds to win whatever. He watched for church raffles etc after this and kept winning a few things on a regular basis until he passed away.

#16     Mar 26, 2013
    #17     Mar 28, 2013
  8. tango29

tango29

Hmm, sounds like a professional athlete, a hard working guy who speaks a different form of English, if it is English, and owes child support, usually to a few mammas. Of course he claims he doesn't have enough money to pay it.:D

#18     Mar 28, 2013
  9. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ber...owes_29000_in_child_support_sheriff_says.html
    snip

Bill Maer, spokesman for the Sheriff’s Department, said that the unpaid child support payments go back to 2009, and that the warrant is several years old.

snip

In 2009, there was a fire at the bodega he and his son operated for years, and that same year Quezada went through a foreclosure on a property he had bought three years earlier, according to public records.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So he have some very hard times like (MANY AMERICANS) in the time of 2006 to now.
    He have 5 children from 5 years old to 23 years old and not have problems until 2009. So you want to judge he is not hard worker, or not taking care of his family?
    He is working 18 hrs in the day for many many years in his bodega. Who is he talking to all the time? He is talking to his customers that speak spanish to him, and to his family. So he is not hearing English enough to learn because he is working so much only around spanish speaking customers. Is this crime? You will see he will learn now because he have time. His children will teach him.

("In 2009, there was a fire at the bodega he and his son operated for years, and that same year Quezada went through a foreclosure on a property he had bought three years earlier, according to public records.")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/powerball-winner-pedro-quezada-money-change-heart/story?id=18816384

A New Jersey bodega owner who emigrated from the Dominican Republic stepped forward today as the winner of a $338 million Powerball jackpot. Pedro Quezada's life of 18-hour workdays is all behind him and he now plans to help those in need.

snip

Until last year, Quezada had woken up at 5 a.m. to open his bodega and stayed until closing time at 11 p.m., he said. His son had taken over operations of the store, but with his windfall, Quezada said he plans to relieve his son of the job.

Quezada brushed away questions about a fire at his store and a robbery at his apartment in recent years, saying he instead wanted to focus on the future.

"My life has changed," he said. "It will not change my heart."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19     Mar 28, 2013