On Spelling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thunderdog, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Okay, that was mildly amusing.

#21     Jan 6, 2009
  2. it's mostly the inspiration

#22     Jan 6, 2009
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

#23     Jan 9, 2009
  4. jem

jem

if you are spending a lot of time running spell checks and cleaning up your grammar - on et - you are likely an investor.

I post between trades and clients. I frequently do not even have time to finish the sentence I am typing.

#24     Jan 9, 2009
  5. why don't you dictate your ET posts and have your secretary post them for oyu?

#25     Jan 10, 2009
  6. jem

jem

thats pretty funny if you are being sarcastic..

if you are being helpful... I have not realized much gain when I have tried to train others to help with my work.

It takes a lot of patience, it seems by the time I tell people what I need done I could do it myself.

#26     Jan 10, 2009
  7. I would think that if you have a fairly good grasp of English, then you should not need to spend "lot of time running spell checks and cleaning up your grammar." I'm not referring specifically to you, jem, but to the people who can't seem to write a post without multiple and glaring errors. It makes me, and I suppose others, wonder who some of these people are. If English is not their first language, then it is entirely understandable. But I'm guessing that English is the first and only language of most of the posters here at ET, at least those whose post content quality is of the same order as their grammar and spelling. Again, I'm not talking about isolated typos and such.

More and more, ET is becoming a fertile breeding ground for the functionally illiterate casual (lazy) thinker with an exaggerated sense of self-importance. There are some very bright people here whose posts are not only worthwhile, but are also a pleasure to read. They are slowly getting crowded out.

#27     Jan 11, 2009
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm going to have to bookmark this, you and I finally agree on something.

#28     Jan 11, 2009
  9. that's nice..

but i would ask where is YOUR contribution?

Do you only take, or do you also give?

#29     Jan 11, 2009
  10. jem

jem

there is a difference between interesting ideas and well written posts.

Frequently people who write well think well enough.

Solid writers are probably smarter than average. I really admire great writers.

However, I know many people who write well but do not have a useful original thought in their minds.

#30     Jan 11, 2009