On Spelling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Thunderdog, Dec 29, 2008.

1. As reasonably intelligent adults, we really should know how to spell in English if it is our principal language. I suspect that there are more good spellers here at ET than there are good traders, but I see no reason for the two to be mutually exclusive. Just a thought.

2. speling is'nt my problam its my grammer thats need work

3. Yes, there is the small matter of grammar as well.

4. effective communication does NOT depend on formulaic English.

have you heard the phrase.. "literary license"?

5. If you use Firefox, spell check already built in.

:D

6. slacker

slacker

Tdog, I agree. My suggestion, start with spelling, then grammar, then address community standards of behavior, and finally dress codes. You can do it Tdog, but at what cost? It may mean a campaign of hundreds of posts before it is over....

(Is the market dead today or what???!?! :( )

7. Speaking for myself but the devil is in the details. This is a detail oriented business. Spelling is detail. Incorrect use of the word loose, loosing and looser takes away credibility from the author. What other details might the author have missed if spelling doesn't count?

8. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

I think that a lot of spelling errors are actually typos, no problem. The issue for me is the use of the wrong word that gets in the way of the message. I am very surprised by the constant incorrect use of the words lose and loose on this and other message boards. I don't know what makes it difficult to use the correct word.

9. Yes, I have heard a ~similar term along those lines. However, the user should know when he is employing it, which is very unlikely to be the case in these forums.

"Artistic license (also known as dramatic license, poetic license, narrative license, licentia poetica, or simply license) is a colloquial term, sometime euphemism, used to denote the distortion or complete ignorance of fact, ignoring the conventions of grammar or language, or the changing of an established fact that an artist may undertake in the name of art."

http://www.answers.com/literary license

10. It is the market deadness that has given birth to this thread. :D

#10     Dec 29, 2008