On PPT and GM

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster114.html

"Early in May of 2006, Bill Gross – of PIMCO, and considered to be one of the world’s finest bond fund managers – wrote a seminal essay comparing General Motors’ problems to that of the United States’. In his piece, As GM Goes, So Goes the Nation, Bill Gross conveys three basic problems shared by both GM and Uncle Sam:

-Eroding competitiveness compared to global competitors.
    -Uncompetitive labor costs compared to global competition.
    -Burdensome future liabilities – healthcare, pensions."

If he is right, God help the USA....

2. Just as GM is too big to let fail, so is the U.S.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Good point, but there is always a first....

4. Pabst

Pabst

Do you see any fiscal negatives in the U.S. that ARE NOT "shared" by Japan, the U.K., Western Europe and Australia?

Clearly capital searches for efficient, cheap labor. Equally certain, many products require ingenuity, i.e. developmental know-how. Let the widgets be built in SA or Asia. As long as we design them, capitalize them, market them, consume them, bookkeep them ect. there will be added value in developed nations.

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, if the shit is going to hit them too, that doesn't make me happier. If the US goes down, there is a good chance of worldwide recession. Well, maybe the Chinese still will prosper...

6. DrChaos

DrChaos

<i>Do you see any fiscal negatives in the U.S. that ARE NOT "shared" by Japan, the U.K., Western Europe and Australia?</i>

Yes: Japan and Australia are better off.

Japan and Japanese are more willing to make collective decisions for the good of the country even if it doesn't let the top CEOs personally extract a hundred trillion yen from the system while screwing over the average salaryman.

Australia has a small population, nearly racist, difficult, immigration standards, lots of natural resources to trade per capita

And, sharks surrounding their borders.

7. Pabst

Pabst

Japan!!! LMFAO. For all the concern about the U.S. budget deficit, that shortfall is 2.4 percent of gross domestic product, while Japan's is 6.9 percent. The debt-to-GDP ratio is pushing 151 percent, by far the highest among industrialized nations. By 2020 there will be just 3 workers for every two Japanese in retirement. No natural resources per se', a continent of cheaper labor right next door, no immigrants to offset pension risks. Japan is a fiscal disaster.

Oz on the other hand will be a player.........