On Don Bright & his trading methods

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Lucias, Jun 15, 2011.

1. OK, speaking of "adapting" and "change" let's check the notes inserted below:

And, seriously, thanks for giving me the opportunity to update everyone on how things work here.

All the best,

Don

#41     Jun 17, 2011
  2. I have to agree, those with limited capital, and really want to trade, can get involved in futures....we did very well back in the 1980's trading futures, and wish everyone with extremely limited capital all the best in trading them. Hopefully, as many have, when they build up their accounts and start trading for a living, they can come join us.

Don

#42     Jun 17, 2011
  3. Again, the futures are fine for some... but most futures traders on the floor and upstairs at the exchange, tend to hedge most of the time vs. simply trying to day trade, in my understanding.

Don

#43     Jun 17, 2011
  4. After quickly replying to the last few posts, I thought I would simply say that we are proud of our Firm and what we have done in offering an alternative to those who wish to take trading past the retail level. No "matching of trades" no "wash sale rules" to deal with, some simply steps to join in the ranks of other professionals.

However, serious trading, trading for a living (as I've said many times) is just not for everyone. It is not for the person with a few grand going in and out of a trade between his or her work cycle...- our group comes from various trading floors, and from the group that is limited by PDT etc.

I don't feel I have anything to defend here...we, along with 3 or 4 other firms these days, are still offering this alternative....but, "not for everyone." Most of you know who you are, and call me every day... let me know if I can explain anything further.

I do my best to explain everything I can here on ET, doing my best to help as many as I can.

Don

#44     Jun 17, 2011
  5. Lucias

Lucias

Don thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions. I will keep your firm in mind as a consideration when/if I get to that level.

#45     Jun 18, 2011
  6. It is important for any new trader to understand that a proprietary trading firm such as Bright's is a resource that can greatly enhance a successful trader's performance through greater leverage, functions and support. However, if one is not consistently profitable, it is a very epensive and dangerous tool to use while learning due to the leverage.

New traders are well served to develop a successful trading methodology through real time simulators until they can generate consistent profits, and only then consider moving on to a proprietary trading firm. Once there, minimal size should be used and increased slowly as confidence using real cash grows. This is the progression I wish I would have taken as opposed to blowing out my account several times on the path to learning to become consistently profitable.

While Bright does not require their traders to daytrade, it is also important to understand that IMO, daytrading is one of the most difficult ways to make money trading. I have a lot of respect for anyone that can do it because the psychological profile requires someone who is very risk adverse while concurrently being very comfortable with risk. It is a rare balance and the difficulty should not be under-estimated.

Best of luck.

#46     Jun 18, 2011
  7. How much does one need? Doesn't he need to know how to trade too?

ES

#47     Jun 18, 2011
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

If a prop firm told me I could trade with 30k intraday, I'd find the exit as I don't know many who can make a living trading 30k equities intraday.

I DO know a guy who who doubles his money each month trading Fx, but he's not the norm. Btw, he was am member of ET for a while until all of the negativity turned him off.

#48     Jun 18, 2011
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Good post! Agreed completely!

And as far as Don Bright's Firm goes, I'm probably in trades that are 35-40% day, the rest 2-7 days. When I messaged Don, he was ok with this as it's profitable for me, and let him know what my methodology was. I don't understand why Don gets jabbed at so much while other prop firms are a joke, but go un-announced... Oh well. Again, good post.

Btw, when Mav "gets after" Don, that's a different story. Their interaction is always good reading! Lol!

#49     Jun 18, 2011
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Depends on what you have in savings, cash reserves, other more passive investments, plus knowing what it will cost to fund your lifestyle. I would also say that it depends on what they're trading and do they employ a real risk management system.

For trading equities, I'd say not many people can pull off being able to live on the gains (if there are gains...) of a 30k account. Maybe if they lived with their family?

As for "Does he need to know how to trade too?" I would have to say yes, to an extent. However, if the firm U4's an experienced trader, and they're bringing with them bad habits for example, I wouldn't want him/her if I was the B/D, and would take a rookie instead. Of course, we all know the story of the Turtles when it comes to new traders being taught a system...

You ask tough questions. Lol!

#50     Jun 18, 2011