On Bloomberg - psychopaths make best traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Sep 19, 2005.

1. #11     Sep 19, 2005
  2. I'm going to the ET chat room...

#12     Sep 19, 2005
  3. Guys, this is a new term being proposed. i.e "functional psychopaths". Poorly chosen by moron academics.

Don't confuse it with the old term "psychopath", the modern DSM-IV accepted term is APD (antisocial personality disorder).

This is stretching my memory now, if I can recall anything from those lectures, (I did attend some:)) these people tend to be intelligent, can appear charming (gift of the gab), and believe its a "dog-eat-dog" world out there, so will do anything to get ahead. Most are in trouble with the law from their teenage years.

DSM-IV classifies APD under cluster B, which includes Borderline (Bunny boiler types - ala 'Fatal Attraction'), Narcissistic and Histrionic personality disorders (a tough bunch to treat if at all, especially BPDs, they irritate the shit out of you).

Thanks to the horseshit that hollywood perpetuates, the APD sufferers are often not cold, calm and calculating as portrayed. They tend to be rather reckless and impulsive.

What the scientists are proposing is a disorder that inhibits emotions. Not APD types, and definitely not your hollywood serial killer types - on which one could write a book considering the number of disorders they are supposedly afflicted with.

Most definitely NOT trading material.

#13     Sep 19, 2005
  4. i can see it now -- the new Elitertrader t-shirt ---

on the front --- "No Fear"

on the back --- "Fear This" {with a picture of an unshaven disturbed looking man like Jack Nicholson in front of 15 monitors with one hand on the mouse and the other hand holding a big knife}

#14     Sep 19, 2005
  5. Probably some study sponsored by Bright Trading or Swift using some of their still functioning psychopath traders.

:D

#15     Sep 19, 2005
  6. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

exactly.

the article says the study was done using an investment 'game'. since when has my living been a fucking game? since when has putting food on the table and paying the bills been a fucking game?

this is just a load of phd's proving to the world they are no fucking good for fuck all.

they cant trade and they cant even give a good reason why they cant trade or those who can trade can trade. they dont even have the common sense to use REAL traders trading REAL markets

waste of cyberspace.

its bollox.

#16     Sep 19, 2005
  7. bolter

bolter

Helter skelter ....

#17     Sep 19, 2005
  8. Yeah, it always makes me giggle this psychology thing (and money management too).

Sure they are an integral part of a winning trader. Inseperable in fact. Read that again - a WINNING trader.

If one cannot trade, having the psych makeup of a jet-fighter pilot, and the asset allocation skills of GS's finest won't help. It will mean one will lose slower, and perhaps on the way learn a thing or two, but it won't turn a bad approach into a winning one.

But then again, I'm sure everyone here knows this...

#18     Sep 19, 2005
  9. Thanks Equalizer..I thought I was crazy :)

#19     Sep 19, 2005
  10. "Have lesions, will trade."

#20     Sep 19, 2005