On Being Your Own Guru

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Feb 18, 2010.

1. I read today elsewhere here the excellent advice to be your own guru. I have always believed this to be true in the vein of "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!", but I had never tried it in practice. Until today:

MeMe: Oh Great and Wondrous Guru! Will you teach me how to trade and grow rich?

GuruMe: What's in it for me?

MeMe: Why, you will have my undying gratitude, and I will suck up majorly along the way.

GuruMe: I'd rather have your money.

MeMe: I'll pay you after I get rich.

GuruMe: No way. The other putzes I've mentored never paid enough attention to get rich.

MeMe; Well, then, fuck you, you greedy unsharing bastard!

GuruMe: Hey! You came to me. I didn't come to you!

2. Great Idea!

3. lol good one!

4. Obviously you cannot distinguish pathos from humor. Trying to be your own guru produces results not unlike trying other things recommended on ET.

5. Hmmm, you are right. I can't distinguish pathos from humor. Maybe that's a good thing.

So, what would you recommend someone to do?

6. That is not what the Zen Phrase is about, it's abt the dropping of all concepts not finding ur own guru.

Learn what you are quoting next time

7. What do you know, you ain't even Buddhist? It means "be your own guru." Go read Babba Ram Dass.

8. Pension, my solution was to guide pre-existing multiple personalities into each of the roles required of an independent trader. One is an algorithm expert, another a crack coder. One watches every tick with the utmost patience, as only a compulsive can, looking for patterns for the others to codify. One is a strict disciplinarian, a rigid Nazi type, who takes the trades exactly as generated by the system. An incurable cynic doesn't believe a word of it and continually seeks flaws. My job is to keep them all fed and watered and soothed. I also spend the money. But I never share.

9. Are you running Rentech??

10. You mean converting bullshit into energy?

#10     Feb 18, 2010