On a one point move on a stock...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bungrider, Nov 27, 2002.

1. How much would you consider to be a good profit??

(Let's say the stock is a typical high flyer - KLAC, BAC, QCOM) - any stock that is liquid that will do at least 3 million shares a day.

Thanks!

2. What time frame?

3. Intraday - I shoulda mentioned that - thx for the reminder...

4. On a one point move, I'd expect at least 50 cents, be happy with 75, and on a good day get close to 90. Now, keep in mind my style is one that is designed to get me in right at the turn and I baby sit scalps. Typically I micro-mange on a 2 minute time frame.

5. another bullshit, useless poll...

6. Sorry if I offended, did I not understand the question properly? If say WXYZ was at $42.55 and it moved to $41.40, assuming my entry setup appeared (with very specific parameters regarding pattern, liquidity, volume, time of day, etc.)I'd be in within 5 to 10 cents of the $42.55 number (or I wouldn't take the trade). I also don't take the trade unless there is an extremely high probabiliity of the move being a point or more. There are ways to tell this ahead of time. I only trade one or 2 times a day. Some days not at all. It's not terribly exciting.

Now, if you understood, and you simply don't believe this, and your way to deal with my post is to call it bullshit, then maybe you're better off saying nothing...

7. My apologies. Sorry Dan if I misread your post, still grogy eyed, I thought you were referring to my post, not the whole thread. I wouldn't call it useless though. Depending on where your at, it might be useful to know what's possible and what's not.

8. jperl

jperl

Why would you trade stocks that give only one point moves. I only trade stocks that have daily ranges of two points or more; and there are plenty of these every day

9. It all depends on the size of trade, doesn't it?

A dime at 100 shares is meaningless, but at 10,000 shares it is a nice scalp.

10. nitro

nitro

bungrider,

this is another way of stating the MAE and the MFE. Without that, the question becomes, "How much profit are you willing to give back so as to reach the profit objective?"

Few if any stocks go straight up for just a point, except in the morning on certain types of news, or on bottom picks when you happen to pick the bottom.

The question is an interesting one, but you have to "tighten" the question. This is similar to the way they have the "placebo" in drug trials - it is in place to compare with, otherwise the answer becomes close to "useless."

90% of [experimental] science is knowing how and what questions to ask.

nitro

#10     Nov 28, 2002