OMG!: U.S. Store Traffic Fell 24% on Pre-Christmas Weekend

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by MrDODGE, Dec 24, 2008.

1. That's what I don't understand. The better sales are going to be after black Friday.....not to mention smaller lines.

Unless i'm missing something

2. Partly, from what I've seen, stores marked way up to mark down. People this year are more aware of this, and won't be had. People really are looking for deals, and they expect prices to come down similar to the amounts they've seen their housing prices fall. I think retailers are in for a tough 2009, unless they can get deep discounts and pass them on.

3. I'm in Michigan then over to Chicago for the after holidays. The malls were packed with stores having super sales, 70% off and more. Traffic seemed thick.

However, the idiots who think Housing will save the Economy, if and when it returns are the same who will not face the facts....DEPRESSION. Spending is going to continue to fall even as the cost of "Cloths" etc fall to depressed levels.

The economy is no where near turning around and as prices fall, dollar devalues, energy prices fall, we will continue on this road to deflation.

Employment will continue to weaken, which will keep consumer spending low.

This is a Generation of Leverage, Decades of Leverage unwinding.
    Japan had their 20 year "recession", so will we.

4. The real question is ......

When is China going to establish their own outlets.....

thus eliminating all this middleman nonsense....

They are just amortizing somebody elses real estate....

5. They should buy Home Depot, Wal Mart, Costco.

6. China is actually starting this already in Latin America.....

They really should buy Walmart.....

If their currency gets strong enough.....

And Walmart gets cheap enough......

Just might get the chance.....

ie Ambev buys BUD....

7. bit

bit

Walmart is already China's bitch. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free? :eek:

8. Was picking some stuff up at Best Buy today, at the desk where you put in the order online for store pick-up.

At least half the people had one of their cards declined. The store was packed, with last minute Christmas shopping, but that's something I definitely took a notice of. The US consumer is truly tapped out & maxed out.

Next year is when the retailers will get really hit. I can't wait, looking to buy a bunch of stuff.

9. Why give the real estate and product margins away....

The only reason they do not....are political reasons....

If the political reasons were to vanish....they would eliminate
    the middlemen .....grab the real estate and additional margins .....and list their owns stocks on the exchanges of the world....

#10     Dec 25, 2008