Olympics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yabz, Mar 26, 2008.

1. yabz

yabz

He has stated that he is personally in favour of abolishing the institution of Dalai Lama and having an elected head of state in the event of an independent Tibet, but that he would put the matter to a popular vote.

#21     Mar 26, 2008
  2. Wow, what a democrat! But how come without any consultation with the Tibetan people, the Dalai Lama openly abandoned his movement's demand for independence in 1987? And he first communicated this change to Beijing secretly in 1984. All he wanted, apparently from what he told Beijing back then, was to go back to Tibet as a ruler, under communist control if that what it takes, in an "autonomous Tibet."

#22     Mar 27, 2008
  3. yabz

yabz

Consulting a people living in an occupied country presents certain practical difficulties, don't you think?

Dalai Lama goes to Chinese Embassy.
    "Hello, I'd like a visa to go to Tibet"
    "What is the purpose of your visit sir?"
    "I want to hold a referendum"

I can't see it working.

No liberation movement - the Indian Congress, ANC, Free French whatever - has 'consulted the people' in its decisions. Its not possible. They fight to get into power and then set up a democracy. Gandhi never stood in an election in his entire life.

Its safe to say that he abandoned calls for independence because he realized he'd never get it rather than because it was what he wanted.

#23     Mar 27, 2008
  4. An occupied country?

Texas republic is more like an occupied country to me than Tibet.

Tibet has been part of China continuously longer time than US history.

You are just full of lies, btw.

Read some history about China.
    And stop lying.

#24     Mar 27, 2008
  5. hcour

hcour Guest

I can't wait for the Oympics! They'll be in hi-def this year, that'll look so great on my new 56" HD widescreen! Oh yeah, baby!

Harold

#25     Mar 27, 2008
  6. And Gandhi never held a political office - before or after independence. He was elected as head of the National Congress Party in 1921.

The Dalai Lama, OTOH, remains the head of exile Tibetan government, and he never held an election even among the 15000 or more exile Tibetans who lived with him in India through the past 50 years.

The Dalai Lama is no Gandhi.

#26     Mar 27, 2008
  7. The Dalai Lama was the biggest slave holder before he fled from Tibet.

#27     Mar 27, 2008
  8. yabz

yabz

To get rid of a 600 year old institution on the basis of the votes of 15000 people (.25% of the Tibetan population) would seem a bit strange, even if there was pressure for him to resign which there isn't.

All the other main officials of the government in exile are democratically elected.

#28     Mar 27, 2008
  9. There was progress, but to say that the government in exile is democratically elected is pretty far fetched.

The first "election" of the assembly was in 1996 (one wonders what happened in the previous 37 years). The Dalai Lama himself gets to "nominate" 1/3 of the council members (and no, these 1/3 don't go through the election process. They get on the assembly directly). That makes sure that he has absolute control over the assembly no matter what the election results are. Then the ministers are elected by the assembly.

If this is democratic election, then you could also say that the communist China's government is also democratically elected.

A true democrat would call for a Tibetan referendum in Tibet, instead of begging the Chinese government to allow the exile government to return.

#29     Mar 28, 2008