Olympic lifters/Crossfit workout and diet thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drownpruf, Mar 20, 2014.

1. I haven't gone into protein/BCAA, but for the longevity stuff:

CoQ10
    EPA
    ALCAR
    ALA
    Keto DHEA
    Astragalus
    Resveratrol
    multi

I buy CoQ10 powder (sourced from Japan (Kaneka)) and add to coconut oil. I melt 14oz of coconut oil on low heat in a sauce pan. Once it's liquid I add the oil back into the jar and add 60g of CoQ10 powder. It's approx 1g per tsp. I take 1-2 tsp per day. The plasma conc. cannot be achieved with any other preparation.

I used to consult with IFBB guys. One of whom placed 5th in the Olympia.

#41     Mar 26, 2014
  2. Boss302

Boss302

The Olympia, pretty cool. Telling my age but before I could drive saw Zane win his first of Mr. O in Columbus, Ohio which is near me. The next day Arnold (who was the promoter back then) held a small seminar which I attended and met Frank and a few other guys from the golden age of bodybuilding. If a weekend like that doesn't get a kid to train hard, nothing will.

#42     Mar 26, 2014
  3. wjk

wjk

My bad. Good luck to FCX on his recovery. Still, jumping out of a third story and only receiving a shattered ankle isn't bad! You've got some good bones, man.

You're still doing 400 on the squat after breaking an ankle, and you're in your 40s? Another feat. My best is around 400, but I did it on a smith, so that doesn't count. :)

However:

My heaviest lifts have all occurred since I turned 50, mostly because I learned better techniques...about when I started reading MMI. They have some great diet ideas, too.

Good thread you started.

#43     Mar 26, 2014
  4. I'll eventually post some pics or links to max lifts on the new gear.

#44     Mar 27, 2014
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Ouch. Sorry for the bad luck. I wonder how safe long-term, heavy dl's are? Same with squat? Even with no spinal injury, the heavy weight over the years on the joints/discs etc?

For the resident chemists - how best to supplement with Aromasin? Low T from proscar use caused lots of issues with the plumbing downstairs. Any advice to get things back working? Taking Aromasin now. Got excited and crushed E alittle low - sore joints. Now laying off until things improve, and experiment again. Trying to find the right dosage.

#45     Mar 27, 2014
  6. Thanks for the good wishes. It isn't nearly as bad as it was anymore. I just have to be careful to not do anything with poor form or too heavy now.

I'm not sure on the long term effects of DL, but I definitely liked it prior to injury. Your whole core and everything will get so much stronger with deadlift. I feel it works more muscles than squatting, so i prefer it between the two. BUT with poor form you can really mess up your back!

DP will know better than I do more than likely, but are you trying to spark up your natural production? If so there are probably better options than Aromasin. Look at what guys use after a heavy cycle. Typically Clomid, HCG, Nolva, Torem. I don't know all the details on Torem, but I believe it is somewhat of a replacement for the outdated Nolva. Less side effects and better results, but I can't back that up.

A typical simple plan would be to run Nolva/Torem and Clomid together to jumpstart everything. It just depends on your age and how bad you are shut down. Wait on drownpruf to chime in though.

#46     Mar 27, 2014
  7. Yeah, I would go with Clomid as a first-line attempt, then hCG. Got to be careful with dosing on hCG. Clomid is amazing stuff. The MOA is preferable (IMO w/Clomid) to N and T, and any of the three should work. It's a personal pref for me. I don't like aromatase inhibitors (Exemestane/Aromasin).

#47     Mar 27, 2014
  8. wjk

wjk

Have you considered rest-pause for your DL? I've read some of the top BB's only use that technique at higher weights. You can move more volume at heavier weight, and I find it to be a little less stressful on my lower back, and easier to maintain proper form.

After warm-ups, I usually do 3-5 reps with 10 second rest intervals, usually around the weight you are working with. If I've had a good night's sleep, I might move up to 2 reps with 10 to 15 second intervals at 300, and try for a total of 8 total reps per set with a total of 2, or even 3 sets. That's more than I can do if I try to do 2 or 3 normal sets of 6 at that weight, which I find extremely difficult after the first set. That gives me 16-24 total reps using rest-pause vs 12-18 total reps using conventional sets. I'm not saying you won't feel it the next day if you've never done it, though, because you will.

I only DL twice a month, because they are murder on your nervous system, but as you indicated, one of the best all around lifts.

Good luck with your injury recovery. Stay light till you're healed...seriously. My gym actually has a lower back machine for isolating your lower back muscles if you're rehabbing such an injury.

#48     Mar 27, 2014
  9. I personally think the rest-pause is an IQ test. Dumbest thing ever to infest weightlifting. Just my opinion. FWIW I gave it a go.

#49     Mar 27, 2014
  10. wjk

wjk

It works well for me. I will use it for cycles a couple times a year. My strength increased noticeably when I used it, and it's easier on my joints when I want to lift heavy. I never tried it till about 6 months ago. Like everything else, I believe it is effective for limited periods of time.

Just curious, why didn't you care for it?

#50     Mar 27, 2014