olive oil

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by bookish, Jul 24, 2021.

1. mlawson71

mlawson71

I didn't know olives have to pitted to extract olive oil. Isn't a lot of it in the pit?

#21     Aug 23, 2021
  2. %%
    MUST be right, so many are bottled in strange bottles.
    I've bought several kinds @ WMT + other places. Extra virgin olive oil maybe be best; it stings some throats ,not like hot peppers.

#22     Aug 26, 2021
  3. cesfx

cesfx

If you do it at home in your kitchen, although fresh green olives are very hard, not if you do it with an oil mill.

#23     Aug 26, 2021
    mlawson71 and murray t turtle like this.
  4. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

By the time you are done...it's best left to the professionals that cold press it in Italy...

#24     Aug 26, 2021
    murray t turtle and cesfx like this.
  5. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

It's a lot like Chinese food...Get this, get that, none of the ingredients are in my kitchen. Best left to the people who know their trade.

#25     Aug 26, 2021
  6. mlawson71

mlawson71

Aah, that's a good point!

#26     Aug 27, 2021
  7. BriMi

BriMi

Thanks for sharing this info! I didn't know about that.

#27     Sep 15, 2021
  8. Buyers should however remain aware though that the certification of the oil is for specific brands - not for the producer. They only get certification for the specific products that they have paid to have tested. Sometimes people will say that they read that company xyx is certified and has a good product so they they run over to the grocery store and buy a bottle of olive oil with that company name on it. But most large producers have an entire fleet of products which includes the good, bad, and the ugly. So be careful with that. Methinks.

What is a "good" oil often depends too on why you want it. People who want it for cooking and food preparation often like the taste of the lower grade oils because they have different flavors, might even taste better because of the other oils added in etc. That's fine. But if you are adding olive oil to your diet for health reasons you want that puppy to set you back and make you cough when you slug some down. The burning and irritation come from the oleocanthal which has most of the health benefits. The more burn and cough the better. That's not a negative unless you just looking for a salad oil "with aromatics and light grassy notes." You know, Californian yuppy type thing. Some of the certifications are just certifying that it is real olive oil which is a good thing, given the overall fraud in the market. And they may certify that they are first cold pressed and that could be good too. But what is the content of oleocanthal in it? Very hard to get that information. First cold press from a low quality olive is still a good thing and will get certified in the same way that a KIA may still get certified as a real car but it is not necessarily a high quality oil for health purposes. I look for a certified oil and also need to feel the burn bigtime to know that it has oleocanthal in it that has not deteriorated yet.

I would like to have a nickel for every olive oil review from some yuppy that disses an olive oil because it burns or is harsh or something. That's a good thing, not a bad thing, assuming it does not come from being rancid or spoiled or something. Particularly if you are trying to mimic a mediterranean diet a bit.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    #28     Sep 25, 2021