olive oil

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by bookish, Jul 24, 2021.

1. The way I see it, Walmart products absolutely suck. They are all made with the cheapest ingredients and have a ton of preservatives added. But since olive oil is so easy to make and store, any brand should be good.

#11     Jul 25, 2021
  2. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

California Olive Ranch
    Bertolli
    Berio
    Pompeiian
    Colavita
    Boticelli

These are my go to EVOO choices (not necessarily in that order)
    And yes, I'm Italian.

#12     Jul 25, 2021
    murray t turtle, cesfx and KCalhoun like this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

You should try their Great Value Italian-Style frozen meatballs. Best-tasting meatballs in a bag ever. Lots of the store-branded stuff is hit and miss.

Like...TGIF's Mozz sticks. You'd figure they would be great? No, they are just AWFUL! They do not have real cheese in them, but white goo. Best frozen Mozz I have found is Stop 'n Shop, a regional supermarket here.

Don't fault all of WalMart's home-branded products until you have tried them.

#13     Jul 25, 2021
    murray t turtle and vanzandt like this.
  4. I like walmarts frozen tator tots and pecans with cranberries oh yeah and eggs. Everything else complete crap...

#14     Jul 28, 2021
  5. easymon1

easymon1

Have you tried one of these Olive Oil-In-A_Box products?

If you have tried olive oil that is provided in packaging that's resistant to the ill effects of Oxygen and Light, what's your verdict? Unlike a bottle of wine that one tends to go through before it goes bad, olive oil sits in the supply chain, then sits in the home for some duration before the last 75, 50 25, 10% is consumed. Those dregs are often rancid and contain many more inflamitory and bad taste components that were not there when produced but by 'wear and tear' of Oxygen and Light and Heat steadily form over time. The rate of formation is greatly reduced by the packaging below, or so goes the story.

What say you?

Olive Oil in a Bag Box.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification
    Rancidification can detract from the nutritional value of food, as some vitamins are sensitive to oxidation.[3]
    Rancidification is the process of complete or incomplete oxidation or hydrolysis of fats and oils when exposed to air, light, or moisture or by bacterial action, resulting in unpleasant taste and odor.
    Specifically, it is the hydrolysis or autoxidation of fats into short-chain aldehydes, ketones and free fatty acids, which are objectionable in taste and odor.[1]
    When these processes occur in food, undesirable odors and flavors can result.

delete ranc.jpg

#15     Jul 28, 2021
  6. Overnight

Overnight

To be safe you better buy the oil from Genco, or you get a knife in yer gut.

#16     Jul 28, 2021
    Big AAPL likes this.
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

#17     Jul 28, 2021
  8. #18     Jul 28, 2021
    vanzandt likes this.
  9. maxinger

maxinger

stop complaining.
    go make your own legitimate pure olive oil

1. Get Raw Fresh Olives.
    2. Wash Olives Very Well.
    3. Pit Washed Olives.
    4. Crush Olives in Large Chunks.
    5. Add 1/2 Cup of Warm Water.
    6. Mash Olives into a Brown Paste.
    7. Use a Cheesecloth to Extract Liquids.
    8. Extract Liquids by Using Your Hands.

#19     Jul 28, 2021
    vanzandt likes this.
  10. Luxury and Lifestyle?

#20     Jul 29, 2021