Olive Oil Compound Hydroxytyrosol Lowers Body Fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, May 4, 2018.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Olives and olive oil contain body recompositioning compounds, the most common of which is oleuropein. But another substance found in olive oil called hydroxytyrosol has interesting biological effects as well. In a human study, which Italian researchers published in Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, daily supplementation with 15 milligrams of hydroxytyrosol reduces body fat percentage.

[​IMG]

Study
    The researchers gave 28 healthy and non-obese subjects aged 18-65 years two capsules every day with the DSM-produced olive extract elaVida. In each capsule was 7.5 milligrams of hydroxytyrosol, so the subjects consumed 15 milligrams of hydroxytyrosol per day. On another occasion, the subjects took a placebo for 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

The supplements that the researchers used were from Italian Fenolia. And no, Fenolia and DSM did not fund the research. The researchers got their money from the Italian government.

The supplement group combined the hydroxytyrosol with 40 grams of protein in the form of a shake, 2 grams of phytosterols, 2 grams of EPA-rich fish oil, probiotics and 1 gram of berberine. All supplements were produced by Nature's Sunshine.

Results
    The researchers had expected that supplementation with hydroytyrosol would reduce the concentration of oxidized LDL. The European agency EFSA approved this claim [EFSA Journal 2011;9(4):2033.] and expressed a positive opinion about the safety of hydroytyrosol extracts. [EFSA Journal 2017;15(3):4728.]However, the researchers in this study did not see a reduction in the amount of oxidised LDL by supplementation.

Supplementation increased the production of the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase-1 [SOD1] by the cells. SOD-1 neutralizes up free radicals. Genetically altered mice that can't make this enyzme age faster and are more susceptible from age-related muscle decay. [Free Radic Biol Med. 2006 Jun 1;40(11):1993-2004.]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the same time, the supplement reduced the body fat percentage of the test subjects, although they had not changed their lifestyle.

[​IMG]

Conclusion
    "In this work, we observed how 15 mg/day of hydroxytyrosol consumption could exert positive effects on human health reducing oxidative stress and cardiovascular risk, [...], although this daily amount of hydroxytyrosol does not seem to produce any positive effects on oxidized LDL-C", write the researchers.

"However, further clinical trials are needed on a larger population over a longer period to increase knowledge about therapeutic mechanisms and ensure its efficacy and safety."

Source:
    Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:2473495.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    lovethetrade and BONECRUSHER like this.
  2. I wonder whether the claim that this supplement lowers fat percentage, as is written in the title, can actually be concluded from the measurement results. The original article shows that the mean reduced from 24.3% to 23.4%, as is also indicated in the bar chart above. But the standard deviation on these measurement results is more than 7%. The "before" and "after" measurement results have such a large overlap that I wonder whether the conclusion can really be drawn from this research.
    Measurement results as printed in the source article (body fat percentage is listed as FM%):
    fm.png

El OchoCinco likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I know several first or second generation Sicilian's that are well into their 70's and 80's and they are absolutely amazing. All their hair, healthy and strong... still working "projects" (mostly carpentry stuff for friends lol), and avid gardeners. They all drink their wine, (a couple I know still make their own), and they all maintain their old world diets which includes olive oil in some form every day. I can't tell you how many times I have shared this observation with people. Its very real.

BONECRUSHER likes this.
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The fact that they used calipers for measuring body fat is also concerning. There's got to be some significant deviation just in that method alone.

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The importance of that fact can't be understated. As we get older, staying moving on a daily basis is paramount. You can't just take supplements and sit on your ass. You've got to combine your intake with physical effort.

One of the best decisions I've made in the last few years was buying a chain saw, pole saw, and hedge trimmers. My house sits on about an acre here in central florida and it's a full time job just keeping the trees and plant material pruned back. Just last night after dinner I spent two hours pruning three palm trees (about 17ft high) in my back yard and hauling the debris to the road by hand for the county to pick up today. And every day there's always something like that to work on. It's physical labor but I always feel good after doing it.

6. I agree with you on that one, but didn't want to add another layer of complexity to the discussion.
    Where in the original article did you find the claim that this supplement lowers fat percentage? I must admit that I only scanned it quickly, but I didn't find any such claim.

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

In the abstract:

"A significant reduction of body fat mass percentage, suprailiac skinfold, and weight was observed after HTT. This study shows that regular intake of 15 mg/day of HT changed body composition parameters and modulated the antioxidant profile and the expression of inflammation and oxidative stress-related genes."

8. Oh yes, I have found that sentence upon more carefully reading the article.
    But I still have my doubts, given the large spread in measurement results (standard deviation), low number of involved patients and, as you mentioned, the measurement method used (calliper with four skinfolds).

9. Although the discussion here is about hydroxytyrosol and fat, hydroxytyrosol has major benefits for your mitochondria, which is really the pathway to being in better shape overall, if you value your neurological system. Olive oil also has oleocanthol which is an anti-imflammatory. You have to take a non-fraudulent extra-virgin olive oil though. Most olive oils have been cut with peanut or soy oil. If you take a shot of olive oil and it does not burn the back of your throat, then no goody. The oleocanthol is what causes the burn and that is good stuff.

BONECRUSHER and vanzandt like this.
  10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yeah, 60 Minutes did a piece a few years back about all the BS olive oils out there. There's a bunch of em.
    Pretty sure the old guys get their stuff sent from family back home... they're stubborn like that lol.
    I did not know that about the throat. Thats very good to know; thanks.
    Sicily looks beautiful. I wonder if many Americans retire there.

Olive grove:

cropped-e23948196bd52798951550aeb1f0223a.jpg

#10     May 4, 2018