oldschool getting schooled

Discussion in 'Options' started by oldschool, Dec 24, 2007.

1. #21     Dec 25, 2007
  2. Keep up fellas....no rest for the wicked.

Trade #3:

UL: CALM: Earnings due Friday 12/28.
    Bias: Bullish
    Rating: 8*
    Time frame: Looking to close position within1-5 days after release.
    Stock projected prices within holding time: Possible move to 29 or higher after release.

Thoughts:
    Without getting into details, a potential explosive move to the upside.
    *Due to earnings play, max loss < avg max loss/trade in this acct.

Max loss: $1,000
    Max margin for trade: $3000
    Avail Margin: $15,000

Trade #4:

UL: ECA or ME, doesn't’t matter – both in energy. Please choose whichever looks better (from an options point of view – the two stocks both have what I refer to as a short term dragon head pattern. Any TA gurus ever heard of one of those?

Bias: VERY bullish
    Rating: 9
    Time frame: I want to hold a net long position for 3-6 mos. LEAPS maybe?
    Stock projected prices within holding time: ECA to 80+, ME to 30+.

This one needs no explanation I think. I just want to get looong.

Max loss: $1,500
    Max margin for trade: $5,000
    Avail Margin: $12,000

Both CALM and ME are thin stocks. If it's not liquid enough in the options mkt for a trade, then I understand.

NOTE: I am officially opening this thread up as a for-profit thread. You want to make $? Help me. If you already make a lot of money, then of course, stop reading. But maybe someone who could use a few bucks? Personally, I see the service being worth a thousand dollars or so in the short run. Is this unreasonable on my part? Am I being too cheap? What’s this kind of options help worth? Somebody please raise your hands, text me, email me, PM me, help me, I’ll pay.

Fu*kers :D

#22     Dec 25, 2007
  3. Closed the AAPL and AGU positions.

Anyone use investools monthly options coaching program?

I need a coach. I can't do this by myself.

#23     Dec 26, 2007
  4. taowave

taowave

Austin,you lost me on the residual risk should AAPL trade below 195..I fully understand the assignment on the short put,which would lead to apx 3-4 weeks of carrying cost worst case scenario.Is that what you are refeering to??The carry?

#24     Dec 26, 2007
  5. I did not read all responses, but I read some. RE calendar spreads, a call calendar is the same as the put calendar. Check it out by running some numbers. Reason: intrinstic value disappears in a spread. If you buy a time spread, you but longer term extrinsic value and sell shorter term time value.

If you do it with puts, the % returns are higher (because of cost of carry effect). So put calendars are preferable. But if puts are deep in the money, bid-ask spreads can be issue and there is also the risk of exercise on the short put. In such cases, use call time spread.

Old School: PM me if you wish. I think speaking about option is way easier than learning about it in a book. You run a business, and you should think about it as a business. So, you need to split portfolio into specs and income (20%, 70%, rest cash). Stocks are not good for the income part. Index are better, and the calmer the index is the better.

For specs, think like a spiner hiding behind a tree. You spend a lot of time waiting, and when the target is in your spot, you shoot for the kill. The income part is like old money waiting for checks every month to cash.

There are a set of tools for each part. Once you understand this, and option fundamentals, the rest as they say is details...

I love options.

PM me if you wish

#25     Jan 24, 2008