Oldest Profession reminds 1 of EQUALIZER

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Cy_M, Jan 20, 2008.

1. pma

pma

Im lost. I have looked at fractals but was confused on how to interpret them. If someone could give a more detailed explination on thier usage that would be awesome.

#11     Jan 20, 2008
  2. If you want a definition, here's a good one:
    What’s a Fractal, Anyway?

"Much has been said about fractals. You have probably seen the photos and pulsating computer screen savers. But what is the relevance of all of this?

Simply, a fractal is a treelike object composed of subunits that resemble the larger scale structure. One example is a fern, in which individual leaves resemble the larger plant. This internal look-alike prop erty is known as self-similarity or scale invariance.

The network of veins and arteries in your body is fractal in structure. So is a head of broccoli, a tree, a mountain range, clouds, the folds in the human brain and coral reef. In fact, much of what we find pleasing in nature is fractal. Turbulence is one of the most complicated subjects in physics, but it has been discovered that it too is fractal. Mountain ranges are also fractal.

There is a paradoxical quality of fractals. If you consider a coastline (which is fractal) from a satellite photo, you could estimate its approximate length. But if you were to move in for closer and closer views you would begin to see more bays and peninsulas that, when measured, increase the length of the line. This continues to be true as you move in at closer and closer levels. The more small-scale detail you pick up, the longer the line becomes. The smaller the ruler, the longer the line!

A fractal line is not one dimensional, because it isn’t really straight. Isn’t two-dimensional, because it doesn’t fill a plane. It can’t be thought of in Euclidean terms at all; Really, a fractal line is approximately 1 1/2 dimensional. "
    You can start with that concept, pull up a chart, and start drilling down to see the detail ... like I said before, screen time is going to be your friend on this one.

#12     Jan 20, 2008
  3. Cy_M

Cy_M

Absolutely agree with you, the 5 to 10 posts were not necessary and it only demonstrated how maaad I was/am with having wasted so much time/money with TS and also tried to breakdown the review so the mass of it would not discourage readers and obviously it helped bring down their ratings down to where it belonged... lol
    your comments appreciated though.
    Cy

#13     Jan 20, 2008
  4. Cy_M

Cy_M

Excelent link above on fractals....specially this quote below:

...most traders refer to fractals in a more literal sense. That is, as recurring patterns that can predict reversals among larger, more chaotic price movements. ...

#14     Jan 20, 2008
  5. pma

pma

MandelbrotSet- thanks for the reply,best trading to you!

#15     Jan 20, 2008
  6. Benoit Mandelbrot is world-famous for making mathematical sense of irregular shapes--clouds that are not round, mountains that are not cones, coastlines that are not smooth, and now, stock markets that are not as simple as previously thought.

Mandelbrot, known as the "father of fractal geometry," spoke Nov. 8 to a crowd of more than 200 people in Room 10-250. His talk was the first in a series sponsored by the MIT Molecular Frontiers Club. Molecular Frontiers is a new international alliance of scientists, including several at MIT, intended to inspire young people to get involved in science. The title of Mandelbrot's lecture was "The Mandelbrot Set and Fractals in Finance."

Mandelbrot coined the term "fractals" in 1975 to describe shapes that appear similar at all levels of magnification and are also called "infinitely complex." Examples of fractal-like structures in nature include snowflakes, rivers, broccoli flowers and systems of blood vessels.

#16     Jan 20, 2008
  7. I pulled that from an old MIT newsletter.

#17     Jan 20, 2008
  8. Ha ha ha. Cyrus, you're not only a wanker, you are the worlds biggest wanker. Lost more money have you?

lets remind everyone of what has been going on thus far:

1. Cyrus, rants about TS on the IB broker review section!
    2. Clearly due to not enough Olanzapine in his system, he now resorts to a myriad maniacal postings about how he doesn't like their arrays, and what have you on the TS review section of the website, when one would have sufficed.
    3. This " intellectual giant" amongst us then resorts to asking questions on the Ninja trader software vendor section.
    4. This moron has already been given the boot and had a myriad of mindless posts deleted from TS's forum due to his psychotic behaviour. You are a fucking laughing stock on TS's forum moron.

May I remind you of some of the "Gems" dribbling out of your trap?

https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Topic_ID=37702&Page=5&txtExactMatch=
    https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Topic_ID=37702&Page=6&txtExactMatch=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by mktrend (aka Cy_M)
    ------------------------------------
    I play Roulette the following manor:
    wait for the even odds or the 2 to 1 ones repeat 3 times then I bet on them. Arn't I then playing roulette statitically and scientifically.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to which mathemagician correctly replied

"Oh, my. Where to begin... "

Also:

You just need to maintain the data as we do in trading and obviously when red has turned up 3 times consecutively it statistically has less chance of showing up the fourth time and still a lessor chance of 5th consecutive times.

LOL! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and that has been demonstrated by Cyrus.

I still continue to beleive that a 3 times repeat of say the Head is deviating from the 50% random mean and, due the fact that it must return to the 50% mean is the reason that occurence of a tail following 3 heads has more probability than the a Head.

I guess those "Gems" in probability theory have been derived from your "advanced studies"!

ROFLMFAO :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS. Going by your maniacal rants on this forum and the broker review section as of the last few days, who do you think the disturbed individual is? Don't worry, I'm sure the Thorazine squad is on their way to your house.

---------------------------------------
    Loser! Yes, that means you.

#18     Jan 21, 2008
  9. Yes, I think the penny might have dropped, he has possibly figured what threads are for. But that might be giving him far more credit than he is worth.

Re your second point, I'd like to see that. However, don't hold your breath :D

#19     Jan 21, 2008
  10. Yeah, you're a regular philanthropist.

BTW, give my regards to Jim Simons when he visits. :p

-------------------------------------------
    Loser! Yes, that means you.

#20     Jan 21, 2008