Older I get, Less I understand... why is market up when Moore lost, rates likely going higher?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by iceman1, Dec 13, 2017.

1. tomorton

tomorton

Price.

#41     Dec 14, 2017
  2. themickey

themickey

The current bitcoin rally can be seen as a type of running of the bulls event in the streets of Spain.
    To the contestants it is logical. Some have trained for it, others do it on a whim. But they see it as logical, it's excitement and an event nevertheless for them.
    A person at home watching on tv, sitting in a wheelchair injured from say a car crash, may view the Spanish bull run as illogical.

#42     Dec 14, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

price is not rational or irrational

even if we are talking about price at the moment and not as a relative factor

value maybe...

all the price on the market is trying to do is to predict the future value

maybe one can call a rational price the one that reflects the value ,... but that again depends on how one defines value

#43     Dec 14, 2017
  4. Well, yes. But there's more to it than that. Namely:
    -Reason to doubt top calls
    -Reason that low volatility isn't necessarily a problem, nor particularly remarkable
    -Reason that this is normal, and not indicative of an impending crash or strange market dynamics
    -Reason that market appears disconnected from the news, but isn't
    -Reason to be scared in 3-6 years when we're stalling around 5,000 or 6,000 on the S&P

My first post on this thread that lead into that chart was that markets love governments doing nothing. Which is why Trumps election and legislative failures are having the same effect on the market. And I'm willing to bet tax reform failure would receive a similar shrug in the market--as would it's passage.

#44     Dec 14, 2017
  5. tomorton

tomorton

No, price is the only universally accepted fact at any one time in the market, its the only rational characteristic. Value is opinion.

#45     Dec 14, 2017
  6. qxr1011

qxr1011

ok

#46     Dec 14, 2017
  7. themickey

themickey

8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

According to your chart though, there has never been a top. I'm not sure that it applies to a trading strategy. I have said before that there is only one 100 percent winning system and that is buy the broad index and have a lot of time. Your comments please

#48     Dec 14, 2017
  9. comagnum

comagnum

I knew we would hear about "seasonal" market strength. But that is not what this is since if you observe the empirically "weaker" months this market still went higher and higher... and so on!

Just because the market rallies in the summer & fall does not mean the seasonal influence no longer applies. Many decades of historical data conclusively shows there is a strong seasonal influence on stock indexes.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    #49     Dec 14, 2017
  10. %%
    Right, C magnum; even a 65% chance of uptrend,[ close price] bullmarket,, could be a 35%chance of going down. I wonder if the old stock Traders Almanac[ Hirsch] paper book editions are spiral bound , anybody?? Have seen a paper back Almanac but it had spiral beween paper hard backcovers,,,,,, not visible like more exspenseive spiral bound , visible editions[1:57 CST, market close in about an hour]

#50     Dec 14, 2017