Older I get, Less I understand... why is market up when Moore lost, rates likely going higher?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by iceman1, Dec 13, 2017.

1. comagnum

comagnum

WHY the hell would the DOW be up so much after Moore loses and the Fed is primed to raise rates?!

The seasonal influence in effect - this time of year is when the market historically tacks on its largest gains.

* There is no training, classroom or otherwise, that can prepare for trading the last third of a move, whether it's the end of a bull market or the end of a bear market. Paul Tudor Jones

https://seekingalpha.com/article/1183461-seasonal-patterns-in-stock-markets-319-years-of-evidence

#11     Dec 13, 2017
    shatteredx likes this.
  2. Macca1

Macca1

These are great points. The market is always concerned with government agenda & intervention. The Trump administration poses little threat in this area and has so far proved ineffective when they try to intervene with anything. So it's like a win/ win for the market.

The biggest agenda for the Trump admin is to look good on TV.

#12     Dec 13, 2017
  3. I think Republicans are planning to drive this through within 10 days... before the new Senator enters office in January.

#13     Dec 13, 2017
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Some thoughts...

-- Since this current [SPX] upswing can be broadly traced to Jan/Feb 2016, it's pretty hard for rational people to term it a "Trump Rally".

-- "Divided Government" most certainly produces happier markets, going back (empirically) a couple of generations. (Since I'm a nerd: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Frey )

-- By not having the 'Bama pajama-ram-a in office, the Republicans have defanged a large Democrat cause. (And its associated distraction.)

-- BUT THE BIG THING (IMNSHO), was the comment on USDollarIndex: we's stronger, and we're going to pay for that (pardon the expression), with higher export prices, and lower profits on 2/3rds of the S&P500. :wtf:

"Ohhhh-hhhhhh!"

Thems my thoughts, anyway.

#14     Dec 13, 2017
  5. As much as I cringe to admit this, when I pull out the long term logarithmic chart, my 'pivot' above the trend and into a bubble is mid-November 2016.

:D

#15     Dec 13, 2017
  6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :wtf::p (And yes, it's logarithmic.)

SPXDec11pm2yrCapture.PNG

#16     Dec 13, 2017
    beerntrading likes this.
  7. Slightly longer time frame. :p

[​IMG]

Sorry, this one will have to do. It's linear (my platform doesn't support logarithmic), and I kinda had to approximate the trend line because I can't get data going back far enough. But it makes my point all the same.
    dow.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    #17     Dec 13, 2017
  8. And to tie into my previous point about ineffectual government, look at 1994 (Clinton / Lewinsky) and 1924 (Coolidge). It's not a stretch to call either of those predictably ineffectual governments, nor is it a stretch to same the same of a divided republican party, a dunce in the white house, and a nearly evenly split senate that we have currently.

Point is, this is the beginning of a (soon to be much hotter) bull bubble.

#18     Dec 13, 2017
  9. And to expand on the rational, but unprecedented, bullishness:

At the turn of the 20th century, over the course of a generation, there was a proliferation (or consolidation) of some recent inventions:
    -Railroads / Trollies
    -Radios
    -electric lights
    -refrigeration / A/C
    -telephones

These inventions changed the way people commuted, traveled, communicated, shopped, entertained themselves...during a single generation. It was a time when consolidation of the railroads allowed for the greatest concentration of wealth ever in human history. Air conditioning (theaters / department stores), refrigeration (groceries, cold beer), and electric lights (night life / theaters...) changed the way people entertained and shopped. Trolleys allowed for the first proto-suburbs. Railroads brought the other side of the nation to the masses in a matter of days, and safely.

Now, consider companies like AAPL, Uber, AMZN, car shares, ULCC airlines...and smart phones. This has been a similar change to the way people commute, travel, communicate, shop, and entertain themselves. It's happened during a single generation. And inventions of the early 2000s have been consolidated in a few companies that that's allowing the greatest concentration of wealth ever in human history.

...seeing a theme here?

It's like Pamplona in July.

#19     Dec 13, 2017
    iprome and vanzandt like this.
  10. vanzandt

vanzandt

One thing I always wondered... they always parade these charts of the Dow and S&P showing this slow and steady growth over the last century... thats all well and good...but show me a chart of the Dow 30 or the S&P with the original components.

If a company under-performs.... it gets the boot. Pretty easy to engineer an ever rising index when you can just kick the losers out at will.

But whadda I know.

#20     Dec 13, 2017