Old issues of Option Traders Magazine

Discussion in 'Options' started by ajacobson, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

I'll post more over time

zdreg and truetype like this.
  2. ajacobson

ajacobson

Next one on the drive

3. thanks for posting

4. Any from the 1980's?

5. ajacobson

ajacobson

Terabytes of stuff, but I don't believe Option Trader Magazine goes that far back. Give me a sense of what you are looking for and I'll look through my stuff. Not everything was digitized for storage back then and some of it is too large to post here with upload size limitation.

6. OptionsTrader0306.pdf is from March, 2006. Not really fascinating from a technology point of view (smartphones weren't ubiquitous yet but they are now and still haven't made no difference in what they can bring to the individual trader).

I'm curious about the technology and knowledge of the 80s too. Were you here before and after the big options market crash of 1987?

The thing I'm most curious about and if you can witness it even by word I'd be thrilled: is it really true that implied vol curve was "flat" back in 1984 for instance?

Second thing: does anyone know where I can get historical marketdata (end of day) for the period *before* that crash? I've payed some $1000 for recent US historical options data.

So I'm not shy on actually paying hard currency for the data.

7. ajacobson

ajacobson

I was at CBOE in 1987. Not a MM. On 10/19 and 10/20 I was on the floor with press pretty much both days.

8. The questions persist:

1) Do you remember a "flat vol" before even the concept of a flat vol surfaced out?
    2) Where can I buy this antedeluvian data from?

9. ajacobson

ajacobson

Absolutely no skew prior to 10/87 with the exception of scheduled fed meetings.
    Not my expertise on data, but the official vendor back in 87 was the exchange and academics could get access from a depository at the business library at the UC Berkeley. Don't know anywhere else for clean 80's data. Have you asked the folks at data sales at the CBOE ?

10. Nope but I'll do. Thanks for the info.

#10     Apr 26, 2018