Old dog here looking to collab

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Roddog101, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Roddog101

Roddog101

20 plus yr vet in this crazy game with a few huge regrets, one is not ever learning to code. Have a handful of lower latency strats that I have been trading w some success but would like to work w someone to do some true backtesting and tweaking. I want to verify if it has just been random that these have produced or not.

I have been trading for a living for a great while & hopefully this would not be a one sided collaboration. In other words I don't mind sharing info/knowledge with the right person.
    The ideal person would have ability to code these up and run some backtests & be a true finance junky like myself. I would like to work w someone that is either already doing this for a living or that is the goal....
    I have found that people that are successful in this biz have a love of the markets & speculation. The people that are just looking for a get rich scheme & do not have a true passion for this never make imo.
    You basically have to eat & breathe this stuff to be successful imo.
    If this is you and you are interested please dm me.

2. Handle123

Handle123

So basically you want to save few thousand bucks between time of programming and costly data on systems you really don't have a clue whether they work in all kinds of climates?

I have three feet of systems my programmer is working on whom I pay to have done as I don't want to share results.

I really doubt you going to get competent existing trader to do this on a lark and there are risks.

Better to get college student and pay him and not share if it turns out good. You really don't know who you dealing with here as far as hidden vendors.

smallfil, .sigma, yc47ib and 2 others like this.
  3. I understand this stuff like the back of my hand

https://www.math.fsu.edu/~ychen/files/poster_landscape.pdf

and I wrote https://vixra.org/abs/1211.0094 which has been cited by a PhD guy in his thesis

https://pat-laub.github.io/pdfs/honours_thesis.pdf

to do any low latency stuff you are going to need a broker like Lime brokerage , you cant do low-latency with anyone else for less cost that I am aware of. I dont work on promises of future returns though, and im quite busy trading options and developing my own stuff

yc47ib, Handle123 and beginner66 like this.
  4. Roddog101

Roddog101

Tghe type low latency stuff Im talking can be done manually.

5. I think you need to call what you are doing something besides low latency, because by definition it cannot be that. low-latency is exclusively algorithmic strategies that that *you* are not *in the loop* on, and furthermore are algorithmic strategies that are responding to events in less than one millisecond.

See

http://people.stern.nyu.edu/jhasbro...Trading/lowLatencyTradingHasbrouckSaarJFM.pdf

"We define low-latency activity as strategies that respond to market events in the millisecond environment,the hallmark of proprietary trading by high-frequency traders though it could include other algorithmic activity as well. We propose a new measure of low-latency activity to investigate the impact of high-frequency trading on the market environment. Our measure is highly correlated with NASDAQ-constructed estimates of high-frequency trading, but it can be computed from widely-available message data...."

Bad_Badness likes this.
  6. Roddog101

Roddog101

Ok thanks for correcting my terminology.

7. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

There is a long distance between trading knowledge and implementing strategies in code. If you are not versed with anything besides UIs there is a lot of things to learn before one can efficiently do dev work. I would suggest getting familiar enough so that you can at least be knowledgeable enough to know A from B so you don't get sold a bill of goods.

stochastix likes this.
  8. Roddog101

Roddog101

what are you talking about? I am not looking to buy anything and prev said I have no coding knowledge...

9. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Nevermind then.

10. some strategies are very hard to code. I have a strategy, it took me one decade to code still yet finished.

#10     Oct 11, 2020