Okay I'm going take start programming for strategy trading

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by ChrisMMM, Jan 31, 2007.

1. okay... so what would you guys suggest??? neo ticker or tradestation??

#11     Feb 2, 2007
  2. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

There's a lot of other possibilities : Metastock, AmiBroker, TradersStudio, Investor RT, SmartQuant, wealthLab...

I am a TS user and I never read a book about programming when I first got it. Just go through TS "help" or TS forums if you have some further problems.

#12     Feb 2, 2007
  3. I was just checking out the neoticker website. Does anyone who has used them know if they have good material to learn the programming language.

I already have a tradestation account and I am beginning to learn easy language and I can say that doing that is not as easy task, at least for me. I downloaded some of the free material on the web site to learn EL which was helpful, but defintiely not extensive enough to write any system. So I said hell with it, i'll go and view some finished code and learn from that...that didn't prove successful. So I order the $99 Easy language Boots camp book. Hope that will help.

#13     Feb 2, 2007
  4. Look any trader in anything knows after a fews years at least on real money that part of your own trading system includes the brokers little tricks etc.
    What Im wanting to know is what is the least problematic platform with the best fills best market data etc obviously there is no perfect world im just looking for the best I can get and looking for experiences to evaluate that.
    Thanks

#14     Feb 2, 2007
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

IMHO,

TS is not a good broker( RJ O BRIEN ). I get an average 0.5 tick per side on ER2( ES and NQ would the same ), 0.6 tick per side on YM, 1 on EMD and more on BP.

Other than that, TS is reliable. You can get some occasional bugs but it's rare if you don't always update to the latest builds.
    I let my platform run all day and i rarely have a problem. The most common problem is connection , not TS bugs or down network.

Market datas are not bad but I don't need some super accurate data for ultra fast scalping methods.

#15     Feb 2, 2007
  6. angry - I use C ++

#16     Feb 3, 2007
  7. C + + ?
    Isn't that a programming language :confused:

#17     Feb 5, 2007
  8. #18     Feb 5, 2007
  9. Ive just found out that tradestation doesnt trade electronic futures through the tradestation platform it uses RJObriens MCD Platform?
    SO that means I cant use tradestation easy language and automate my trading doesnt it?
    Tradestation also making it difficult to open an account saying I have to print out 35 pages of forms fill them out and send them via fedex.No one does that rubbish anymore.

#19     Feb 6, 2007
  10. heh angry - I have been trying to tell you - if you want to trade first class - stay away from tradestation and anyone they associate with - good luck and hopefully you won't have to learn the hardway

#20     Feb 7, 2007