OK To Shoot Cops In Indiana

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

I sort of agree with this new law. If the cops announce themselves I don't think you should be able to shoot at police entering your home. But if it becomes common for police to do break-ins you should be able to defend your property. If the cops don't announce themselves, you should have the right to defend your property from an unknown perp.

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

The first of its kind in the United States, the law was adopted after the state Supreme Court went too far in one of its rulings last year, according to supporters. The case in question involved a man who assaulted an officer during a domestic violence call. The court ruled that there was “no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers.”

The National Rifle Association lobbied for the new law, arguing that the court decision had legalized police to commit unjustified entries.

Tim Downs, president of the Indiana State Fraternal Order of Police, which opposed the legislation, said the law could open the way for people who are under the influence or emotionally distressed to attack officers in their homes.

“It’s just a recipe for disaster,” Downs told Bloomberg. “It just puts a bounty on our heads.”

http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/V...zens_to_Shoot_Law_Enforcement_Officers_120611

2. Even if the police announce themselves it's not enough. The homeowner should be given time to call 911 and verify that police are at their door. There was a series of home-invasion robberies about 20 miles away from us last year where the perpetrators showed up with badges, announced themselves as police detectives and the homeowners let them in. The trusting homeowners were pistol whipped, robbed and left tied up and bleeding. Just because someone has a badge doesn't prove they're a cop.

3. pspr

pspr

Good point.

4. How in the hell can a court rule that a person has no right to "reasonably resist" an attack by police officers in your own home, unlawful or not? Hopefully this new law will slow down the militarization of our police force. Cops don't want to get shot, then stop attacking people. Simple as that!

5. wjk

wjk

With the type of weaponry now available from military surplus, let's hope various law enforcement at least vet the information about criminal activity not once, but twice before breaking down the door.

Having a marked sheriff's car would alleviate the question about the cops being real of fake. We have a fake cop pulling woman over in my neck of the woods at present. No one's been hurt...yet.

Police militarization article:
    http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/12/05/120511-news-militarized-police-1-6/

6. Every two bit police force has its own SWAT team now, with all kinds of fancy weapons. Then there is the lure of asset forfeitures for drug crimes. So the police and prosecutors are itching to find someone with a couple of weed plants growing, so they can terrorize them, push them around, take video of them in the underwear and then hopefully seize their property.

For way too long, "conservatives" have gone weak in the knees at the sight of a badge or uniform. I support the police most of the time, but not when it comes to busting into private homes or treating every warrant or arrest like they are taking down a serial killer. They don't need to throw people on the ground with their knee in their back to make a simple arrest.

I know they are trained to try to intimidate people and resort directly to force if they don't get immediate compliance, but that's a recipe for needless confrontations. Of course, many cops have a chip on their shoulder and are looking for any excuse.

I think the Indiana law makes some sense, particularly if it leads to the police altering their procedures. There is no reason for late night, no knock entries, unless they are dealing with something really serious, like terrorists. The police could call the homeowner from outside, show up in a car with flashing lights, etc and give them a chance to verify who is at the door. If a couple of joints get flushed in the interim, so what.

7. achilles28

achilles28

I agree. Cops always invoke a double standard for their own defense, versus what's acceptable for the public. People have every right to resist intruders in their home, regardless of who it is. Why would it matter if it was a cop or not? Are we a two tier society now? The law only applies to citizens? But not to law enforcement officers? Blasting anyone who enters a home illegally is the right move. Maybe cops without a warrant will think twice before they go breaking in to somebodys house.

8. pspr

pspr

Another thing that bothers me is that if you lie to a cop you are risking arrest and jail time. But, cops are allowed to lie to you all they want without recourse. I can see why this is the case but I think it goes against basic principles of fair play and is often abused by police trying to build a case.

9. achilles28

achilles28

Definitely. Then there's entrapment laws. Undercovers pose as drug buyers, or terrorists, who lure people into the commission of crimes. Tazers are used right away now. On pregnant women, children, the elderly. Taze taze taze. Dangerous, but nobody seems to care much about that.