Ok Ok what edge

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jrlvnv, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Oh Puhleeze..., everyone is an expert on LTCM - or so it seems :D

#11     Jul 12, 2005
  2. Alexis

Alexis

an edge is a statistical advantage on he market

#12     Jul 12, 2005
  3. ... Until a computer system can duplicate the talents of an expert discretionary trader then pure mechanical trading wont replace people, hence the art form analogy.

I think that these days the combination of automated, semi-automated, and some discretionary level of decision making is the typical mix for most traders .....

#13     Jul 12, 2005
  4. I don't think this is necessarily so, at least that statement assumes one trades in a manner that can be measured with statistics. An edge can go so far the other way as to be considered "anti-statistical", that is, to assume what has worked in the past (edit: within the markets, as opposed to one's own results) will not work in the future and profiting from that.

#14     Jul 12, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

:D

And what is funny is, most of these people that have no clue about what a real edge is, their money ends up in RenTec, Citadel, DEShaw, Two Sigma, SAC Investment, or a few other high tech trading firms pocket :D

nitro

#15     Jul 12, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

Absolutely, unconditionally true. However, that leaves much to be desired for those that have never seen it.

nitro

#16     Jul 12, 2005
  7. uh-hunh. i guess the gods have spoken.

#17     Jul 12, 2005
  8. nbates

nbates

I think that sums it up quite well.

#18     Jul 12, 2005
  9. Even if you find an edge thats only half the battle.

#19     Jul 12, 2005
  10. It just does not answer the original question, the person who started the thread was looking for examples, not simplistic and obvious definitions.

#20     Jul 12, 2005