Ok I have read and read and read and still don't understand what an option is.

Discussion in 'Options' started by TheFoot, Jun 22, 2020.

1. TheFoot

TheFoot

I must be fumb because I have read and reread what an option is.

Can someone break it down in layman terms what is the difference between trades, options, and futures?

2. maxinger

maxinger

Can someone break it down in layman terms what is the difference between stocks, options, and futures?

investopedia.com is a good website to learn those things

JesseJamesFinn1 likes this.
  3. Nobert

Nobert

Every master was a fool once.

This forum has both.
    Stick around for a year or two and you might remember this day, with a big smile on your face.
    (Like me, when bombarded broker, on why equity sim doesn't work,...on saturday)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    beginner66 likes this.
  4. actively

actively

Option is basically a contract given to you by broker where you have the right to buy or sell them with the expiration date. Maybe this can help you understand better.

5. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Is it a new word for fun and dumb ?
    That’s so fumby.

You can’t get Options in one weekend.
    Not sure what you’ve read neither...

You may want to read this book to begin with.
    Also ... Paper practice, tinker, experiment.

You can also have a look here.
    It’s the CME Group’s education portal.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  6. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You put this thread in the forum Announcement section for sponsors info. :D

Simply, there's a section further below for Options @ https://www.elitetrader.com/et/forums/options.12/ :rolleyes:

Yet, don't worry...a moderator or Baron (forum owner) will eventually move it for you to the Options section.

wrbtrader

Nobert likes this.
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Hey, let's stick to options first, shall we?

I will explain it to you like you are 5:

Options are like insurance contracts. Let's say you buy life insurance, paid for a year (term limit of contract) and in case of your early demise, your wife gets 100K. You pay for it monthly, let's say 40 bucks. So your investment is 480, and your wife's potential gain is 100K and a dead husband. Pretty good deal for most wives...

The only difference with options that there are a bunch of different expiration dates (not just one year) and you can also be the seller (thus you can play an insurance agent). In case you are the seller, you collect the premium if the client is still alive at the end of the term limit/expiration date.

That is about it in a nutshell.

TheFoot and TooEffingOld like this.
  9. zdreg

zdreg

Step up to the plate and and answer the OP's question what is the difference between an options contract and a futures contract.:D

#10     Jun 22, 2020
    monet likes this.