OK Boomer, Who’s Going to Buy Your 21 Million Homes?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by trader99, Nov 24, 2019.

1. ironchef

ironchef

Rent it out so some poor schmuck now has to pay $5K/month in rent to you. :D

#11     Nov 24, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. That's the idea. Fucking idiot government/central banks. They need to dis-incentivize this bullshit. I rented it out already a couple of years ago when I was living in a sweet downtown apartment and it was free money.

Fucking bullshit. What world are we creating. I hope my children leave North America and force an economic collapse.

#12     Nov 24, 2019
  3. destriero

destriero

what happens to valuations when 20MM homes are for sale with no natural buyers?

#13     Nov 24, 2019
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Actually at today's price (in SoCal, NYC SF...), ownership doesn't make financial sense, rental return on capital also doesn't make financial sense.

#14     Nov 24, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Sorry, you lazy millennial f-ups. I ain't sellin'!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#15     Nov 24, 2019
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Home building, creation << household formation so I don't think there will be an oversupply.

Even if there is, using 2007-2009 as a guide, it will quickly (within a few years) work itself out. The smart money will keep some of their powders dry and will be able to pick up some housing bargains like in 2009-12.

The beauty of the US financial system is imbalances will be corrected quickly.

#16     Nov 24, 2019
  7. ironchef

ironchef

No problem, can't afford to buy prime lake front property! I will rent it from you instead.

#17     Nov 24, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  8. Handle123

Handle123

#18     Nov 24, 2019
  9. It doesn't matter unless they are forced to mark to market. Since a lot of the boomer houses are paid off, they can hold indefinitely.

#19     Nov 24, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  10. gaussian

gaussian

Yes, it seems like financial suicide to live in any of these paragons of modern society.

#20     Nov 24, 2019