Oil

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by J-S, Sep 24, 2002.

1. J-S

J-S

Hi - It seems that oil is making a move to the upside, and I'd like to go long.

I'm wondering which market - My broker is quoting 29.29 for Brent crude, and yet bloomberg and future source are telling me 30.85. Am I looking at the right market? It seems quite a large difference in the pricing.

Thanks
    J-S

2. The quote you are seeing on Bloomberg is for light sweet crude not Brent. Who do you trade through/

3. J-S

J-S

I'm using the UK spread betting firms. The quote they are giving is for Brent crude.

I wonder whether you could outline the difference between brent & light? Is one market better to trade than the other?

Thanks
    Jo

4. As the name implies, I'm primarily a bond trader but do watch crude so I can't tell you which market is better to trade. I believe the difference between Brent and light sweet is composition characteristics.

5. wild

wild

Brent Crude is traded at both the IPE

www.ipe.uk.com

and the NYMEX

www.nymex.com

Light Sweet Crude (& a few more energy contracts) are traded at the NYMEX as well ...

regards

wild

6. J-S

J-S

Hi does anyone have 14 day ATR for Brent crude?

CSI is giving me 0.75 ATR & barchart.com is giving 0.37.

seems a bit odd...

7. Funster

Funster

I used to use this for position trading commodities.

Try to go for about 2-3 months out.

The liquidity is better than in our IPE even though it is still a manual exchange. (new emini contracts excluded of course).

Not sure about using the index firms though.

I always got "buyers remorse" once I truly realised the spread I had just got conned with!