Oil tanks to 30's and fighting breaks out...that's RELIGULOUS!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rc5781, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Especially if your Bill Maher.........

#11     Jan 3, 2009
  2. rc5781

rc5781

this isn't really about bill maher, it's about religion....

#12     Jan 3, 2009
  3. I agree, the difference between us, is that I see Mr. Maher as just another evangelist spouting his own personnel dogmatics, and he doesn't. The sad fact, in my opinion, is that Mr. Maher "feels" he is free from any form of theology, and he isn't.

#13     Jan 3, 2009
  4. #14     Jan 3, 2009
  5. #15     Jan 3, 2009
  6. You're assuming that those who fight seemingly religious wars are religious.

For example I've read that Bin Laden is not a particularly devout Muslim.

I myself may be typical. I was raised as a churchgoer. I attended Catholic grammar school, High School and Catholic college. I identify myself to others as a Christian, I prefer Christianity's tone to that of other faiths, I'm not uncomfortable accepting the sacraments-in fact I truly wish I could believe-but alas I don't. I'm functionally agnostic.

However in political and social beliefs, I'm as right wing as any Bible toting redneck. Further I do recognize that my fellow secularists as well as agnostic Jews in entertainment and media engage in the humiliation and degradation of Christian values. I'm a warrior in the culture war standing beside my brethren on the Christian right, without an iota of faith in Jesus Christ being the chosen Son of God. Just the same, if someday I'm caught taking a bat to the head of a douche-bag like Jann Wenner I'll surely be described as a Christian fanatic....

#16     Jan 3, 2009
  7. Maher assumes we need religion to fight. Cats scratch, dogs bite, horses kick and humans fight. It's in our nature. Removing religion doesn't change that.

#17     Jan 4, 2009
  8. Religion is the preferred belief of those who disdain rational thought and humanity.

#18     Jan 4, 2009
  9. Stosh

Stosh

True. Without religion, we can still have plenty of wars over land and borders, oil, money, political philosophy, trade restrictions, taxation, migration, on and on....

#19     Jan 4, 2009
  10. True, but those are rational things to fight/debate over. Not irrational, imaginary beings of the mind.

#20     Jan 4, 2009