Oil rises to new six-month high.....Do I hear $75, $100, $150, $300

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, May 28, 2009.

1. For me this is another clear indication that "Peak Oil is Past" (I opened another thread with this title long ago).

We have seen Peak Oil in 2005, 2006.

The supply / demand issue of oil will be THE major economic force for the coming decade.

#11     May 29, 2009
  2. I guess I do not understand how you can say it's about supply and demand when there are - quite literally - thousands of floating storage containers/ships, etc of the stuff off the coast around the world as countries and funds hold on to it waiting to sell when prices get back up.

#12     May 29, 2009
  3. S2007S

S2007S

Supply and demand at this point have nothing to do with prices being above $65.00, this is all based on speculation once again, people are jumping in oil due to a falling dollar and a possible economic turnaround sometime in 2009, thats the only reason, there is PLENTY of supply at the moment, Fair value of oil right now in my opinion is around $25-$30 bucks a barrel.

#13     May 29, 2009
  4. Agreed.

Fair value's around $35-$45 / bbl.

Crude's an investment, like anything else.

A common stock can go to ZERO but commodities have intrinsic value & esp. gain favor as the dollar erodes against other currencies.

There's no way out of this trap for bernanke.

BOND vigilantes? Soon you'll see commodity vigilantes...

That assumes this new money creation will leave the black holes at banks & leak (via new loans) into the actual money supply.

We'll see.

#14     May 29, 2009
  5. usman88

usman88

@everyone who thinks 'intrinsic' value of oil is 35,30 and blah blah

why dont you guys short crude and get wiped out in the process??

now that would be a good sight :)

#15     May 29, 2009
  6. S2007S

S2007S

Do you actually think in this deep recession we have going on right now with MILLIONS of unemployed that oil can sustain a move above $50.00.

What do you think the price of oil is worth, because you know its not worth anything more than $35.

#16     May 29, 2009
  7. usman88

usman88

I know but be realistic and do some calculations before you start giving out trade recommendations.

Your $50 short would have caused even a well capitalized futures trader to be wiped out by now.

#17     May 29, 2009
  8. It is all about speculation, howelse can you explain the rise in the price when there are thousands of tankers full of oil waiting to be sold..

Speculation is the only reason why it is going up, simple as that

#18     May 29, 2009
  9. S2007S

S2007S

Nearing $70 a barrel, will continue to move higher as the markets continue to move up. Like I said the new 80-100 is the old $125-$150, with our economy so weak as it is oil between $80-$100 would just slow down any turnaround many are expecting in 2009. Shorting oil between $70-$75, IF IT GETS there, would be very profitable in the short term as I see oil dropping back below $50 a barrel.

#19     Jun 1, 2009
  10. If we have a replay of 2007 oil prices, it will be the final nail in the coffin for the U.S. economy.

Let commodities of other varieties keep rising at the rate they have for the last several months, and whatever green shoots may have truly existed will be dead weeds.

I would imagine Taleb would short the hell out of consumer discretionary stocks if he really believes there's a possibility of hyperinflation.

#20     Jun 1, 2009